Starboar shifter stuck in forward gear. !!

sdjavalinasdjavalina Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
Was out running around , think i pushed the throttle a little to much . was havn so muuch fun . till tried to put her back in newtral . 
Victor J

Comments

• sdjavalinasdjavalina Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    I wont be able to tend to this forum from 6am to 6:30 pm cdt mon to fri any help is appreciated.
    Victor J

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a broken or disconnected shift cable linkage.  

If you are lucky, it's the linkage on top of the engine.  If not, it's the linkage down in the outdrive, and the boat will need to come out of the water to fix it.  

It has happened to me twice.  On my old 342, the linkage inside the outdrive corroded and broke (I had to haul the boat).  On my current boat, the linkage op top of the engine came loose (easy fix).
    ok thankls it is a t outdrive took off linkage at motor and shifter worked could not manually shift outdrive with hand so yes it is outdrive thanks.

Victor J

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck - let us know what you find.
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Never done one on a Merc but on a Volvo, it's pretty easy. I just did my Stbd side.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    Ok took the linkage apart and it is in the out drive because the shifter works fine when all the stuff at the motor is free, but the lower cable that goes to the outdrive just shifts in one direction , forwardgear itwont go all the way back to newtral or reverse. So i put it back together and i am going to have to pull the boat and fix the outdrive. Thanks for the help. Since the starboard motor has the power steering i can not dock or manuver the boat in harbor. So what i did was took the power steering system from one motor to the other extended the hoses and hooked it to the rack and now i can at least use the boat for a while till i want to pull it out. Because the starboard motor will start , thank God. But only runs in forward , and throttles in forward. Oh well. At least we can take her out tomorrow. Thanks hope this helped.

Victor J