Options

Wet rear berth compartment in my 2002 342

Last year I noticed that the carpet in the rear berth compartment was damp, not soaked but damp.  I notice the same right now as I am about to launch. This indicates to me that it must be rain water that somehow gets into this compartment in the middle of the boat.  Strange I know.  Anyone experience the same and did you figure it out?  Anyone have any suggestions of where to look for the source of the leak?

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Rub rail leaks gave me a lot of grief.
  • Options
    DavidWMackenzieDavidWMackenzie Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    what's involved with fixing them?  How hard is it to take them apart?

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electric outlets too, although I have never had any leaks yet
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Check the shower sump pump
    2. Check your A/C and toilet strainers and the A/C pump

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks Black Diamond, yes I agree, those were the first things I checked and were fine....plus what makes this problem so weird is they are separated from this center compartment by what appears to be a structural piece of fiberglass.

What is underneath this compartment?  I assume a hollow area for water to run to the bilge pump behind the compartment.
  • Options
    There is a bilge under that center piece. Look in the opening under your cushion, far aft center. If that bilge pump died you can get water build up. 

There 'should' be drain holes in the stringers from the A/C pump area to that bilge...should be. If not, any water from that area will go in there. 

Did you verify no leaks from the A/C pump while it was running?  Run the shower AND aft bilge pump with water, check for leaks in the hoses, that flimsy hose can get pin hole leaks. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    dwmackenziedwmackenzie Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    @Black_Diamond, yes no leaks from the AC or shower sump.  I did find that my bilge pump had died but the water in that part of the bilge would never get up to the level of this compartment (if it did I presume that the boat would have to be sinking ).  I just checked it again as the boat is not yet launched for the season and it is still damp.  As the boat has not been in the water all winter I have to presume that rain water is somehow getting into this area....but again, what is strange is that it is in the middle of the boat.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue and/or have any theories?
  • Options
    The only time that area got wet on my 342 was the shower sump overflowing (dead pump) and a leak at the A/C strainer.  My 342 had the stringer drains glassed over, so water from A/C or shower sump could not drain to the bilge and soaked the carpet. It is a bugger to dry out once wet. Been there. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Check your anchor locker. The plate at the bottom of it could be leaking. Although my carpets never got wet, I kept getting water in my mid berth. I ended up sealing mine with flex seal.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    merrickmmerrickm Member Posts: 24
    Water following the shower hose down below the shower faucet? How do you guys deal with that ther is no seal an I have had it run back in there a few times
  • Options
    @DanD2, thanks for your reply.  What do you mean by "mid-berth".  My 2002 342 only has a forward and rear berth.  Mid-ship in the cabin is the galley and dining area.  Are you saying that water leaking in from your anchor locker was showing up in your rear berth?  If so, where in the rear berth.  I will take some pics the next time I am at my boat to make sure we are all talking about the same area.  What is "flex seal"?
  • Options
    @merrickm, I have not experienced that problem but will take a closer look next time I am at my boat.  I would assume (hope) that any water leaking from shower compartment flows into the bilge.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

They make Flex Seal in different application types. Tube, brush on , spray on and tape. Check out the link.

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/shop/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuYTYBRDsARIsAJnrUXASIZBDXbvEaLRv2aRrwLzbhAcc78jHSTtk_vnlxff1jtEY5G6arPsaAqS0EALw_wcB
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The corregated hoses from the bilge pump and the shower sump can spring leaks too.  Hard to find if you don’t run them and watch.  Happened to both of mine. 

On the 342, that “aft bunk” is really a mid-cabin bunk. 

+++ on the anchor rode locker too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Also the plastic drain may need to be resealed or tightened. I washed my boat the other day and noticed water dripping into the engine compartment. It was water dripping down the outside of the black corrugated hatch drain hoses. The plastic drains were loose, I pulled them out and sealed them with 3M 4200.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
     Hi guys, here is a video of my problem take a look and let me know if you have any ideas 

https://youtu.be/LvKAkZA9wKA
  • Options
    The water will wick in there from the sides. Run your shower and watch for leaks on the hoses. Also your strainers for the A/C and toilet. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @dwmackenzieI was talking about bilge pump under your rear berth sleeping quarters, its kind of mid-ship, that's why I called it that way. Based on your video, I suspect your shower sump, which is located on the port side of your wet compartment, may be leaking. Take your cushions out check that area, as BD stated, it could also be the AC pump or head pump.
  • Options
    @DanD2..thanks!! that has leaked in the past (shower sump clogged) so I will definitely take a closer look.

• Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    The water pump for the head is behind the small compartment in the shower. I had a small leak at a clamp and got the carpet wet.
  • Options
    It’s been a couple of years since my original post but today I think I found the source of the leak. I pulled my rear berth apart to replace my sanitation hose between the toilet and holding tank (see my separate post about that including a video). When I did this I found a bit of water sitting on top of both my holding tank and my fresh water tank. The only way water could get there is rain water dripping in from above. My theory now is that in times of heavy rain, the rain water dripped in (perhaps through a cup holder or water that drips into the port seat storage area or behind the fridge on the starboard side), pooled on top of the tanks to the point where it dripped down into the compartment. Hard to prove definitively but I am pretty sure that was it. 
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    DavidWMackenzie I have exactly the same issue at the end of the season. I'm with you! That compartment seems to be a tub and no way water can get in but it mysteriously becomes damp or wet. 
  • Options
    You'll get water in there if the bottom plate of you anchor locker is leaking or maybe even one of your bow rail mounts.
  • Options
    The water will get there from the arch mounting bolt holes too. Look for leaks from openings on the arch for wires, etc. Also it will get in from where the window meets the arch/hull. The way the joint is caulked the water runs under the weatherstripping and then into the arch/hull joint and drips in. Any water that finds its way into the port seat storage drips down there too. Also: check the gasket at your shore power and TV imputs. 

I may have experienced any or all of the above. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Wet rear birth apartment?

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    DanWDanW Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I recently had my fresh water tank replaced and they didn’t seal the fresh water fill inlet on top of the tank properly. So when I fill it, it leaks out (only when it’s full, then it stops), pools on top, and eventually ends up in the mid-cabin bilge. Since you’re seeing it on top of both fresh and waste tanks, that’s not likely the same issue I’m having. But if someone is looking through the threads, I thought I would put another possible source of water out there. 

Dan
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR