Options

Anode replacement

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jme are those the old ones? I wouldn't have replaced those as they look fine.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @MarkB yeah they were. I thought they were OK as well but for peace of mind I replaced them lol. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097....cheap insurance compared to.....
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    @jme097 - those are magnesium?  How old?  
  • Options
    Yes they're magnesium. I feel like they're OEM because there are writing on the back with a marker like factory writing. The previous owner (original owner) kept it on a rack all year round til I bought it. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

jme, yours actually don't look too bad.  Was it brittle or anything crumbling off?  Even the edges are still straight.  Sure didn't hurt to change, but I believe you were fine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    No they weren't crumbling at all. I think they were in fine condition but I couldn't find a clear defintion of what good ones and bad ones were so I said just screw it lol
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were original, they might not have been Magnesium. Does anyone know what is installed on the drive when it is shipped from Merc?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question Greg
  • Options
    edited April 2016

The factory ones from Merc for my twin 2013 350 Mags were Aluminum as were they for my 2014 Twin 502 mags.

BTW - having taught Physics and Chemsitry may I suggest that the "look" of a metal surface can belie it's condition. The metal surface of anodes can alter over time with low levels of exposure to make it less receptive to acting as an anode. The anodes don't have to be pitted to heII and look scary to be risky.

@jme097s had 'started to go" ...how long would they have lasted? Who knows? Did @jme097 want to chance that, obviously not. IMO, a wise decision?

I agree that @ jme097 could have gotten another summer of use......but use where? Once anodes start to go do you want to use them for an entire summer? What if you visit a couple of locations with real bad electricals?  Under those circumstances those anodes - that have started the erosion process already - can quickly erode further.

Sooo - if @jme097 were going to use them I would check them every 6 weeks all summer to make sure they hadn't started to rapidly erode.

Unless a boater stays at the same slip with the same slip mates all the time it is very hard to predict how fast your anodes will erode. That is why I suggested frequent inspections if using them once they show degradation.

Where I have boated, going to various marinas up and down the coast - my anodes were 30 plus % eroded at the end of a season. The answer was easy for me, get rid of them.

Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options

MT, have you ever been a salesman? :)  If you need a few extra bucks in your retirement, I think you could be good at selling anything boating related!  (just pulling on your leg here bud :) )

Handy & I don't have to be as concerned. :)

• Options
    Hahaha. The guy, doesn't matter the subject, always has great points and outlooks and advice. Wealth of knowledge @Michael T

• Options
    The rule of thumb I've been told is replace when they have lost 50% of their weight. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I agree Mark but would you start your season with 50% depleated anodes. I wouldn't and if I did and found they were eroding too fast I would have had to pull my cruisers with a hauler or sling  to service them - THAT would make the cost of replacing them in the first place cheap....not arguin' just sayin'.
  • Options
    Another reason for that lift.  Easy to monitor and change those anodes.  just sayin'  (Raybo, you had start with that sayin')

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Yerp...........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MT i hear you. For sure you need to make a practical call before you drop her on the water.

Can't anodes be replaced in the water with scuba gear?  Not saying to do that, but interested to know if it's possible.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB, technically yes, a scuba diver could do that. But they have blue Loctite on their threads and I'm not sure how it would be affected by being screwed in wet. The prop anode nuts should be put on with a torque wrench, which also complicates matters a bit. I would think it would be an easy 2 hours work underwater R&Ring those anodes plus the travel time for the diver. I'm thinking an easy $500 ....so I'm back to - you have to make a judgement call before you put the boat in.
  • Options
    Anodes get changed in the water all the time at my club. Never a problem bottoms cleaned also.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    ....yeah, it's no problem as long as you want to pay a diver! So, what's cheaper - replace your anodes first or pay a diver half way through the summer? That was the original question - when to replace, not how.
  • Options
    Really dont need a diver. Someone with a mask that swims under water. It's really no big deal.....
  • Options
    ....you're kidding right!? I never know. Ever taken the anodes off of a B lll X drive on land.... underwater with a mask? LOL  Too funny!...it would be a lot of work with my tanks.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Not kidding MT happens every summer at my club. 
  • Options

I agree with Raybo. Pull up to a shallower area and it is simple. But even simpler on the lift. just sayin'