Options

HELP!!! STEERING PROBS!!!

I have a 2001 captiva 212 and it runs great! All except for the steering is really tight at low speeds.  When I get on plane it gets a little better but still pretty stiff. I did top off the power steering fluid, as well as greased the greaserts on the outdrive and it hasn't gotten better. I had bought it last season and the dealership said that it needed new cables. They also said for them to do it is about $600. Is this even the problem or does this sound like a different issue? Also if it is the cables I will do it myself, which doesn't look fun so any pointers is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

When you filled the power steering was there fluid visible in the PS reservoir? If there was then you probably don't have any kind of air lock. Work it back and forth a few times to see if it improves. Does your power steering pump make any noises when being used - you'd need to have the engine hatch up to listen for this. Do you feel any type of "grinding" in the steering wheel? The manual steering rack in the dash can go bad, it's not as usual as the PS pump or cables but I have helped friends adjust and replace them. It may well be the cables. Some cables can be greased - carefully as to avoid creating a lock situation. Sometimes the cables must be replaced. You'll get lots more great advice from the guys! Good luck.

P.S. The throttle body housing has adjustments for the cables/throttle "action" for many of the models..... in the past, guys on here have described very well how to make those adjustments - it may well be in the search threads! I'd look at the FAQ section for that - lots of great posts on topics there! ....again, good luck!

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Had to replace the cable on my 04 232. Like Al said take the pin out at actuator and turn the wheel. The wheel should spin easy. After replacing mine if you held the cable straight you could push and pull the cable by hand, but when you put an arc in it like when its in the boat you couldn't move it.
  • Options
    radioinaholeradioinahole Member Posts: 6
    There was fluid in the power steering reservoir, it wasn't low or anything I just topped it off. Also, there isn't any grinding. Just really hard to turn at low speeds. Once it gets nice I'm taking it out of the slip and bringing it back to loosen the cable from the actuator. I'm just hoping its something simple like the cables and not something more serious.
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Did someone install a underdrive power steering pully?
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    or perhaps the pumps are ready to go
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    I had the same experience as Robs232, thought it was everything but the cable. Once the cable was replaced steered like new. When the cable was out it would move easily as long as straight but any arc froze it up. Most cables cannot be greased and if you can it is a short term fix.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about an underdrive power steering pully or how to know if there is one lol. I don't think it's the pump because it's not making any noise. The dealership I got it said it was the cables. I'm asking on here because I want to be sure and i don't want to replace it and not even need to.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    West Marine and defender have the cable it's about 150bucks it should take you a couple for hours. When you follow it up the gunnel be sure not to just ripe it out a lot of other wires were zippy tied to the cable.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I think I may also need to replace my steering cable on my 320 and have a question with regard to reneechris' post. Is it the inner cable that needs to be replaced or the cable assembly including the outer housing and the cable within the housing?
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    WM, It is a complete assembly
  • Options
    Hello everyone, I replaced the steering cable myself. Now it turns better than I ever expected it would! It actually took some time getting it out because it kept getting hung up. It only took about 20 minutes putting it back in. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"