Options

Anyone upgraded their electronics lately?

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am researching electronics and have narrowed it down to Garmin or Raymarine. Both have multi-function displays with Chirp technology. Both have 4KW radar, fish finder sonar with a thru hull bronze transducer and GPS. Both are same price with 12 inch screens. I am dealing with one store who will take my old Furuno equipment in trade for Garmin. Thats the only reason Garmin prices the same as Raymarine. 

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I know Garmin as a really good customer service.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    For fishing?  Are you going to do an autopilot too?  I recently installed the Raymarine Evolution autopilot, and I really like it.
  • Options
    I can add one but wasnt included
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

My choiuce would be: Raymarine E95 GPS unit and Raymarine HD Color radar dome. The E95 is both touch screen and rotary knob controlled. The Raymarine is Bluetooth and with the Ray app you can "sling" your charts and GPS routes to other devices and create remote gps screens. I could watch the plotted route on the E95 main unit and the Admiral could keep an eye on it on her tablet, lap top whatever.

The year before I had a new Garmin 741 so called glonsass super high speed, IMO  it was primitive compared to the Raymarine. the new Raymarine HD color radar is IMO way superior to the Garmin radar units.

And I believe most of the Raymarine product is made in the U.S.A. - at least it's an American company!

• Options
    Raymarine Radar is WiFi too. Not sure how that would work
  • Options
    The Raymarine eS128 is what I was looking at Michael. This is the latest. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I think the Wifi is for hooking up third party devices. I have a bunch of Garmin products and I have to say that Garmin stands by there products and their Customer Service is easy to work with which huge for us guys that install ourselves. Can't say anything about Raymarine as I have never dealt with them. Handy how are you dealing with the hole that your old device has? Are they the same size?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Not same size at all. I will have to use a piece of Starboard behind the display
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Installed the C97 this weekend! Did HOURS of research and decided on Raymarine. 
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The C97 is a fantastic unit.