Options

double-pole switch...

mcmximcmxi Member Posts: 8

Hey all,

Last fall I purchased a 2005 Fiesta Vee 250.  This is my first cruiser and I'm trying to learn everything I can about it.  The previous owner was of absolutely no help. 

Anyway, on the rear, starboard side of the cockpit, in front of the small seat next to the bench/engine hatch, there is a double-pole switch under a cover.  I'm curious as to what this switch is for.  The guy I bought it from didn't know.  "It was on when I bought it, so I just left it alone."

I have a lot to learn about the systems of this boat, and hopefully you all can help me along the way.  Any help with this would be great!  Thanks.

Tim

Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    It might be the 110 main on off. While on shore power turn it off. Check for things that should go off. On mine one is power and the other is for the reverse air.
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    The double pole you are refering to is a circuit breaker for the starboard side shore power.  You have an early "shore choice" shore power option.  If you are plugging into the starboard side shore power, the breaker must be on.  The breaker is located there to be CG compliant for electrical wiring standards.  I hope this helps.  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    You know, I think I have the same thing on the port side.  I'm guessing it would make sense that it is the same thing?  I keep forgetting to dig in and look at it a bit more (which is unlike me - not the forgetting part, but the digging in).  I'll have to check it out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Dream, yes you should have one.  Your cabin circuit panel is on the starboard side cabinet.  The optional shore choice for the aft is on the port side, the main shore power is on the starboard side.  Al

Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Thanks Al.  I think I may now know what each little switch is on the boat.  Maybe before I dig for the last one unknown, is my shower sump box behind the hang-up closet on the port side of the aft cabin?  I know I really should clean it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Well, I can't quite remember on the 400.  Memory is not the same i guess.  But, I am thinking the shower sump was in the center bilge close to the water tank????  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options

Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long to check back.  Next time I'm on the boat, I'll trip it to see what it does, but it makes perfect sense about being part of the shore power circuit.  Tsquared, you are correct.  I do have "shore choice" on the rear starboard side.  Thank you!

I have another question, different topic:  I put the boat in the water tonight (finally) and the warning beeper came on almost instantly and stayed on.  Oil pressure was good, water temp normal, etc.  I opened the engine hatch and heard water, so I started looking around.  Turns out one of the hoses on the bottom of the water heater that come from the engine had come off and was dumping water into the basin, which was then draining into the hull.  I got that fixed temporarily (didn't have a screwdriver for the hose clamp) but the beeping continued.  It also beeps with just the ignition on, engine off.  I then heard the forward bilge running non-stop.  I pulled up the aft mattress and removed the access cover to the bilge, and the A/C filter canister was cracked and leaking.  That's probably my fault (forgot to drain it this winter).  Easy fix for now, I just closed the seacock. 

When we pulled the boat last fall, there wasn't a thing wrong with it.  Any idea what could be causing the warning to go off?  I'm honestly at a total loss as to where to begin.   

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Along that line, I took delivery of a new Rinker EC 310. It had been in the water 15 minutes. I filled up the water tank (33 gallons). After a few minutes we checked the water pressure, there was hardly any. About that time we noticed that the bilge pumps were blasting away. The bilge was full of water. Long story short. I was told that Rinker tests the water heaters at the factory (that's good) Rinker disconnects a water hose on the heater for shipping (won't freeze in the winter - that's good too). The marina's tech forgot to re-connect the hose during PDI (that's not good) Obviously, the tech should have used a checklist. Question - does Rinker place a red tag on a water line that they disconnect? If not why not? P.S. marinas in northern climes often disconnect water lines at winterization to allow complete draining. The smart ones tag those lines with a big red tag. As we know, a boat doesn't have to hit a rock to sink real fast!
  • Options
    No, they are not tagged.  The selling dealer is trained by Rinker service for proper delivery.  At least when I was teaching the classes.   Obviously the dealer did not do a test of the water system prior to the delivery to you.   The hose is not disconnected, the water heater dump valve is opened for drainage.  This has been like this for many many years.  Who is your dealer????   Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Did you check your out-drive oil level? When it gets changed the reservoir usually runs low right away when you run it for the first time. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Did you check your out-drive oil level? When it gets changed the reservoir usually runs low right away when you run it for the first time. 

That's exactly what was wrong with it! 

My last boat didn't have a remote reservoir, so when I filled the drive from the drain plug, it was good to go...didn't even know there was a reservoir.  A buddy of mine owns an auto body/marine shop and he told me to check it before I even got the question out of my mouth. 

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone!

Now I need to dive into the bilge issue I have...I should start a new thread maybe.