Options

Engine hatch motor failure

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
does anyone have any ideas on how to get the engine batch open? Batteries are in and working but I think the motor for the hatch has failed. No fuses blown. Need to get the engine hatch open to check the motor. Any ideas would be appreciated. 
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you put a battery on the emergency terminals?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a number of Rinkers, if Steve's idea of using the emergency terminals doesn't work, you can access a pin to pull that allows the hatch to be raised manually by removing the fitting for a table leg on the cockpit floor of the hatch, in front of the aft bench seat. A few guys have done this so I hope they'll chime-in!
  • Options
    Ugh what a mess. I lowered the engine hatch and left to go to the store came back and it wouldn't go up. I took out the table mount in the floor but I couldn't reach it. I actually took the vent cover out under the rear swim platform seat and was able to reach it. Once I opened it up I greased the motor via the zirk fitting and it's working fine now. I don't know what happened. Pumped it full of grease and then ran it opened and closed multiples times. So weird but I'm not complaining. Did not want to replace that motor lol
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you bottomed the lift too far when you put it down. Glad to hear that you got it fixed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you fixed it. That's what's important. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you got it to work! When it comes to the electronics, they can be tricky. I'm wondering if sometimes the switches don't play tricks. Sometime my "electronics" switch that controls my GPS will work and sometimes it doesn't. Don't know if it's wiring or the witches? 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Glad you got it working.  Just remember to eat your Wheaties if you are ever going to try and lift the engine hatch when the lift is disconnected.  That thing is heavy...
  • Options
    Oh trust me. I had to do it in the fall and spring when I was winterizing. Thing is a brick ****! Hahaha
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Check the sliding collar at the top of the shaft where it connects to the underside of the hatch.  If you push up on the hatch (hard enough to lift the hatch), the collar should slide freely for about one inch.  If it doesn't slide, loosen the bolt until the collar can slide.

If the collar can't slide, here's what happens:

You accidentally hold the button a moment too long, so the actuator starts pulling down on the hatch.  This tension causes the gear to bind, locking the actuator.  Then the only way to free it is to pull the pin and lift the hatch manually.  Once you do that, it releases the tension, and then the actuator goes back to normal operation.

I bet you one dollar US that's what happened.
  • Options
    I am thinking you hit the nail on the head @LaRea. I should probably oil that up a little bit and also loosen it a bit. On the brightside, after pumping the zirk fitting full of the grease, it does sound way better than before lol
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    What kind of grease is called for?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I've used waterproof marine grease, but I think any grease would work.  
  • Options
    Exactly I used whatever I had in my grease gun to be honest. I think it was Mobile One something. I last used it to grease my bearings on my trailer.