Options

Reseal rub rail?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
Some spots are missing the sealer on the top side of the rub rail. What the best sealer to use? Was thinking 4200?
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I would use 4200.
    Post edited by Cableguy Greg on
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Rule of thumb............. 4200 above water line and 5200 below water line.......... Just say'n.........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Here is a comparison chart...

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Now that I read the chart, use 4200.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Wish I could find a large caulking gun tube of it around here.
  • Options
    @BMXZ, you should be able to find a full "caulking gun" tube of it. I bought one from my marina to do the hard top of my former 360.
  • Options
    I'll have to ask.....haven't seen any in stock at marine outfitters, maybe they can get it quick....times running out I wanna get it in the water!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 5200 in caulking gun size at home depot. do they have those in Canada, its a stock item.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    I bought 5200 in caulking gun size at home depot. do they have those in Canada, its a stock item.

May have to check there, never thought of there
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    No no no.  Use 3m 4000.  Uv stable where 4200 and 5200 are not.   However the top edge sealant on the gunnel rail is purely cosmetic.  The real seal must be under the rail between the gunnel and the fiberglass.  Every single screw hole must be sealed.  
    Oh really, and here I thought it was a big issue with a bunch of spots missing. Thanks!!
  • Options
    ....Rinker told me 5200 - twice, I kept asking. I said the 4000 says UV stabilized on it? They said don't worry the 4200 is better for the job and will not yellow like the old formulations. I telephoned 3M they said the same thing. I'd do both sides of the rub rail so water couldn't get intro screw holes but certainly I agree 100% with Al that the shoe box design is vulnerable from below. I would be more worried about durability as the bead would be micro thin.....just another perspective.
  • Options
    Well I got a big tube of 4000 at lunch so I guess we will see how it holds up.....15$ for the small tube, or 18$ for caulking gun size....wish I had know that before!  Bottom side looks really good, looks like the sun has ate up the top sealer.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is something leaking? The caulk that is sealing is not what your seeing correct? You can't re seal what is underneath unless you pull stuff apart?
  • Options
    No leaks....just that there are spots on the top of the gunnel that the sealer is deteriorated, so I want to seal it up before its an issue
  • Options
    blackjack3blackjack3 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Well I got a big tube of 4000 at lunch so I guess we will see how it holds up.....15$ for the small tube, or 18$ for caulking gun size....wish I had know that before!  Bottom side looks really good, looks like the sun has ate up the top sealer.
    Where did you end up finding the big tube of 4000 ? I want to yo my rub rail also.
  • Options
    At my local boat supply place.....guess I never noticed the tubes before,,,,,duh.