Rinker Value with New Motor, Gimbal Housing and More....

ChillLaxinChillLaxin Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
Long story short, our 2003 270 FV 350 MAG MPI is shot. I am trying to decide on a complete rebuild, a new 383 stroker drop in or lightly used take out 496. At the same time we will be having a new complete gimbal housing installed. With all this and some other upgrades I am looking at approximately a $16,000 investment.

Is a 2003 270 in great condition with a 383 stroker (freshwater cooled), new gimbal housing and every other aspect of the boat either serviced or upgraded worth $34k without a trailer? Doesn't have a genny but does have every other option plus all new black Rinker canvas with bimini and slant back enclosure.

We are looking at either dumping the 270 super cheap now and going to a newer larger boat with twin screws or basically rebuilding our 270 to keep for the next 2-3 years then selling and moving up. We just don't want to sink ourselves in this boat too deep and have a hard time selling when we look to move up.

Thanks for all your feedback and opinions! :wink:

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $16k?? How much does a brand new 350 MAG cost? Probably not too much more than that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• ChillLaxinChillLaxin Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I wouldn't go with a new 350 MAG. That motor is under powered for the 270 IMO. I would either have my 350 rebuilt and stroked out or removed and replaced.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo the 2003 270 would have to be pretty slick to bring 34k without trailer. I would think you would have a hard time finding a slightly used 496. But if your thinking your total cost is 16k, with your labor free, thats a deal.
    Boat Name : 

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

.....I apologize if this is not what you want to hear but, on this forum we do not B.S. each other - IMO - if you are thinking of another bigger boat in the near future I'd get your 270 fixed properly, for as little expense as possible and move up, now.

Get a used 350 mag, do all of the other repairs, properly, and move on. IMO unless you are going to keep the boat a long time you will never get BIG up-grade money out of it.

Google 2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee and see what they are selling for on Yachtworld. That will give you an idea.

Michael T said:

.....I apologize if this is not what you want to hear but, on this forum we do not B.S. each other - IMO - if you are thinking of another bigger boat in the near future I'd get your 270 fixed properly, for as little expense as possible and move up, now.

Get a used 350 mag, do all of the other repairs, properly, and move on. IMO unless you are going to keep the boat a long time you will never get BIG up-grade money out of it.

Google 2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee and see what they are selling for on Yachtworld. That will give you an idea.

Thank you for the responses. I am looking for all feedback positive and negative. I know Rinker doesn't have the best resale values and the Rinkers of my era had many issues.  This is a tough one for me.
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:

Yep right on point, this.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
    @ chill, how many hours on your boat? how long have you had it? What do you supose happened to your eng. ?
    Boat Name : 

@ chill, How many hours on your boat? how long have you had it? what do you supose happened to your Eng. ?
    Boat Name : 

....Chill, it's not that Rinkers don't hold their re-sale value, it's that if I was going to spend serious up-grade money I'd have to look at my time line for trade-up and eventual sale.

I respectfully have a "gut feeling" that you really want to move up in boat size/model. If so, get it done now without any more expense than necessary.

I respectfully ask, do you want to put a "boat load" of money into your 270 and feel it is holding you hostage for years? 

Thanks MT. I am prepared to invest what it takes to make the boat the best it can be. I am not a guy that cuts corners or just does things to get back to "stock." If I am going to invest the money I would rather make it better then factory and make it a more custom boat.

To be honest, I am never satisfied. I buy my toy(s), enjoy them for a little then sell and buy the next best thing. I am afraid this will happen with this boat but then again, with a new more performance oriented engine and everything else new, I may be satisfied with it for a bit. I can't see more then 3 years though.

Randy I have owned it since 2008. I believe I damaged the engine a couple years back when I loaded the boat up with 6 adults and 6 young kids (totaling about 300 lbs all together) and pushing it. I could't get up on plain and kept pushing it. The boat never performed as I had hoped it would so perhaps I purchased it with a lingering internal problem. Approximately 400 hours on the boat. Last year the fuel tanked leaked so I invested big bucks and had it removed and replaced. Lot's of money into this boat.
    I'm feelin your pain, to trade up at dealership, In question? as your boat is? and move on, Or do you think they will tear you up on your boat.  400 hours is nothing. What do you supose the lingering internal problem was? 6 adults at 180 each is 1080 lbs, 6 - 75 lb  kids is 450 lbs total 1530 lbs and could not get on plane. humm and you have a b3 with 22  props or 24 . Da** cost of boating, I sometimes wonder what it cost us per hour. 
    Boat Name : 

I looked into buying a new boat a couple months ago before learning the boat needed so much work. Told them it was a 7 out of 10 and ran good. The took all the info then called me back later on saying the don't want it on trade with the 350.

I am afraid a dealership would tear my boat a part if wanting it at all.
    @Chill, what part of this great country do you live? Prehaps you could go outside your area a bit, with a dealer. If you put in the min. as MT sugested, reman 300 hp mpi, which in not to bad of plan, at least you will have a marketable boat. It would also tell you how it should have preformed.
    Boat Name : 

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Is the 350 the 5.7 or 6.2? I have the 6.2L in my 280 and it does great. Of course could always have more power. But I think in the end if you plan on upgrading in a couple years anyways, why go through all the BS right now and dumping the money into it. I would rebuild it and make it operational and sell it. Upgrade now. Less headaches in the long run but thats just me! Hope it works out for you @ChillLaxin

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    edited May 2016

jme097  A 350 Mag is a beefed-up 5.7 with a number of changes made to it for HP and durability.

Your 6.2 Mag is a much different cat than the 350 Mag.

Your 6.2 is a 377 cu" which is essentially a 350 stroked to 377 Mag with more durable parts and more sophisticated fuel/air curve. It is a considerably stronger engine.

One stroking step further with a 350 mag will yields a 383 Mag. I have had all three engines in boats and they all have their place.

My opinion, which I doubt will ever change is that, particularly for cruisers, to get the most HP/Torque possible for your budget.

Regarding re-powering a boat. If I were going to sell it relatively soon afterward I would return it to the specifications that I bought it with, clean it up real good and sell it.

I do not believe that big $ up-grades prior to a sale return their investment.

https://evansville.craigslist.org/bod/5566956087.html
    @ChillLaxin, here is one for sale in my town, somewhat comparable to yours. 
    Boat Name : 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I know that my 270 with the 350 is not a water rocket but to say it is marketable? Maybe my lack of experience but unmarketable is a pretty strong statement....
    @rasbury, you have to read the whole story. His engine is out, he cannot trade it in like it is. or sell it.
    Boat Name : 

IMO and a lot of seasoned boaters, the 270 or 280 with the 350 MAG MPI with 300 HP is underpowered and not highly sought after. It seems to be more of an entry level boat good for a family of 4. I've owned the boat since 2008 and have many great memories with it, but it has not been a great performer for us. Had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased a similar boat with a big block. That's the major reason I am considering all my options and weighing the pros and cons. 

I have a few 496 motors in the area for sale. All are freshwater cooled but from salt water boats and sort of pricy. I agree with everyone here that I will not see my return on a high priced investment/upgrade now such as going with a new 383 stroker. However I am not one that will put a "problem under powered" engine back in the boat for the next person even if it will net me more profit. IMO the 350 MAG MPI does not belong in this boat for the majority of boaters out there.

Still considering all options but need to act fast as Memorial Day is quickly approaching. It would help if I had a mechanic I know and trust that could help guide me and service my boat. ;)
    So true a great entry level cruiser, for a family of 4. Trailerable, nice boat. A lot of bang for your buck. also if I knew what I did now, agreed, it would have a big block. I was in to big a hury when i bought it. Thought 300 hp was enough. Had a boat with twins before, did'nt want that. It's like haveing two boats. Rinker builds a fine water craft. I'm proud of it. 

Make's you wonder why some one would take a good 496 out of there boat? 

Boat shops here are all two weeks out, which means three or four.  Hope you find, a shop. ask your boatin buddys.
    Boat Name : 

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Doug Russell has a pretty good reputation for remanufactured engines if that's what your looking for. They are up in MA. Or check out Michigan Motorz. Also reputable. Lots of snakes out there in that rebuilt space. 

I would fix to spec but spend as little as possible, sell, and then upgrade to the larger vessel. So long as finances made sense at the time. 
    I am speaking with a mechanic that a friend recommended to me. He said he would like to take a look at it first, but thinks he could completely rebuild the motor and stroke it out and save money over purchasing a new 383 stroker.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain. I blew the engine in my old 232cc. I could have went with a bigger engine, but I ended up replacing the engine with the same thing that was in there. I purchased a 5.7L long block and moved parts from one to the other. The boat was worth more with a working engine verses a hull with a blown engine. Good luck with your decision.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Just to sum things up and put some closure to this thread, everyone agrees the retail value of the '03 270 FV would not favor re-powering with new power. Majority, if not everyone, suggested fresh take out big blocks or maybe even rebuild and stroke the 350 to a 383.

Thanks for all the guidance/advice all. I'm sure I will start a new thread with what I decided to do and results/pics.