Options

Rinker Express cruiser

I recently bought a new 26 express cruiser, how do I get a owners manual for this size boat? the one they gave us is very generic doesn't help at all! Also, instruction on the water system how do I flush out the antifreeze and refill everything. My last Rinker didn't come with a full galley this is all new to me. would appreciate any help..

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Butler68- you get the info from school of hard knocks- you have what is available. Hopefully since you bought new, they gave you a bag that would include the manuals from the different companies that supplied the fridge etc. to Rinker, that's about as good as it gets. Otherwise, ask the questions here and you will find more information than you probably wanted!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Agree with Ras.  You will want to buy the merc manuals for your engine and drives, which is not provided with the boat.  Again minus a generic merc maintenance manual they provide with the boat.  While you are at you will probably want to reach out to Rinker and ask them to send you a wiring diagram for your boat.

My boat included the genny manual, but if your's didn't you will want that as well.  All of this is good to have especially if you plan to work on your boat at all. 

Congrats on the boat purchase!  Share some picts if you have them.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have been given the generic owners manual and then about 20 other manuals one for each system (radio, TV,  fridge, air conditioning, etc).

There's no manual that will tell you about flushing lines. It would be like having a manual to tell you how to flush the plumbing lines in your house or your swimming pool.

Those types of things you need to either rely on an expert to do or learn how to do it yourself by watching someone else or asking lots of questions.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

I have a 2014 260 myself.  Here's how I flush my system of anti-freeze in the spring.

- Close drain valve on water heater. (gray valve coming out of water heater, the white box on the port side in front of the fresh water tank and batteries)

- Fill fresh water tank with water (Cap marked "water" on the port side of the boat)  Be sure to put water fill cap back on.

- Make sure all faucets are turned off for hot and cold water (bathroom, kitchen, cockpit sink, rear/transom shower)

- Turn on water pump (marked "galley pump" next to the bathroom under the stereo) and wait for system to pressurize.  Pump will turn off automatically.  If not, check faucets to be sure all are off and check water heater for water coming out of the drain valve.

- Turn on faucets, showers, etc. I usually do the kitchen and cockpit sink (both hot and cold) for a minute or so then do the bathroom shower/sink and transom shower.  Use all of the water in the fresh water tank (or as much as you can until it is barely coming out).  I also let the water pump "rest" for a minute or two between turning on faucets.

- Turn OFF the galley pump when you think most of the water has been used and leave a faucet turned on to relieve any pressure left in the system.

- Refill with water and repeat until water is not pink, foamy or sticky coming out.  You might also want to put a cup of bleach into the water tank, refill it and flush again if you are concerned about bacteria.  I don't drink the boat water and it never smells bad so I do not do the bleach thing.  BE SURE TO GO THROUGH ANOTHER TANK OF WATER ONLY to rinse the bleach out of the system.

- Finally, you can connect a hose so the "shore water supply" on the back of the boat to flush that out.  I don't use the "shore water" so I don't do that step.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should have gotten a pretty detailed (for the average owner - not a shop manual) engine manual.

We flush the anti freeze out of the systems by opening the drain on the hot water tank, running the taps, flushing the toilet and shower as well as the transom shower. If you have an ice maker you run several batches of ice through that. Of course you will have to re-install your strainer screen and strainer bowl for your HVAC and Generator (if you have one).

Fill your fresh water tank through the fill on the side of your boat, with a water icon or the name "water" on it. If doing so at a marina let the water run for a while first.

I recommend buying a small marine charcoal filter to run the dockside water through. West Marine sells one that is also available at many marine stores it is a KDF In-Line Water Filter for about$30. It is a charcoal filter that filters to 100 microns and gets rid of a lot of crud in marina and even city water lines.

because we purchased two cruisers n\"new"  we wanted the best water, so we also purchased a small portable water softener. You will see more and more of them on the docks as the concept catches on. On The Go makes one that can be regenerated with normal table salt. It sells for about $350. I mention this to you because if you use these items not only will you avoid getting a lot of cruddy mineral build up in your lines but all of your fixtures will be much cleaner and the water will taste better. As well, you can use the soft water to wash your boat and avoid mineral deposit build-up in the gel coat.

Remember to have the techs take off the clear strainer bowls in the Winter or the anti freeze will turn them cloudy.

Have fun with your new boat, congratulations on purchasing a Rinker - that was your first great move in the "cruising world"! :-) 

• Options
    Butler68Butler68 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the suggestions I will definitely do this this weekend!
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Great description Mike. That is on my list for this weekend. I have done my RV for years but this is my first time on the boat. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wally World sells the in-line RV water filter. I got one last year.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point Greg!.....that filter was probably a lot better price at Wally World. I know the toilet paper for the RV heads is waaay cheaper at WW than the same brand at any marine store.