Options

Rinker with Autopilot

SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
I just installed an autopilot on my 2001 Rinker FV 310 with Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrives.  I used the Simrad AP2401VRF package which includes the AC12 (course computer), RC42 (rate compass) AP24 (control head) and Simnet starter kit (NMEA2000). for a drive unit I used an octopus type R drive for Mercruiser sterndrives... I also purchased a Simrad Nss7 MFD to tie into the AP.  It all works absolutely flawless and was simple to install. Currently I can touch and hold a spot on the chart on the touch screen NSS7 and a screen pops ups, you hit "go to" and the AP takes over and youre on your way, its awesome... so anyone wanting AP that has outdrives, it is possible!!  whole system (exluding the NSS7) was about $2600
01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I've seen the same setup (minus the NSS7) on a 400 (former RBOer FMBA).  Definitely a nice setup!  I really had been giving it a lot of thought myself.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Where did you buy the Octopus system?  How easy was that part of the installation?  Did you do it yourself?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at an auto pilot system.  make great sense for sail boaters cruising and long night sails.  The electronics guy made my choice easy: how long do you want to be away from the helm at 25-30mph?  My 'autopilot' is my son or a friend if I have to head below for any reason, simple instructions: go straight.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Hey BD, I hear you! I have autopilot and a high performance Garmin touch screen that is wifi enabled with a NMEA 2000 Mercury Marine energized backbone system. All of that is linked into the Smartcraft/Vesselview Axius Premium system with a second GPS comparator. State of the art as of June 2013. Last Friday it wanted to take me what I thought was too close to an island. I asked the Admiral to consult the charts we always carry. Then I thought I saw a rock about 300' off the tip of the island. I throttled back and stopped. It was a rock. I decided to go the long way (about 10 minutes more) around a second island. As we went by that second island NOT using the Garmin recommended route you could see that the water depth from the island to the rock - ALL 300' of it was about 2' deep. Someone would have had some "interesting" pictures. As I rebooted the Garmin to check my route I had to - like every time it powers up - touch the screen where it says we take no responsibility for obstacles or water depth - no kidding. I love my Garmin, it's excellent. Its a great tool IF you keep a close eye on it. Leaving the helm unattended even at 5 mph is, in my opinion, beyond stupid. Even if the auto pilot DOES chart a safe course what about that kayaker or sailboat that drifts across the path? My guidance system may be state of the art but it doesn't have eyes. A alarm yes, but if I'm not there all I get is an oh sh** moment. My 2 cents worth and a lesson confirmed for me. MT
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Glad you avoided disaster mt. My GPS has taken me into the shallows even tho my map says I've got plenty of depth. When you feel the props drag sand you become less trusting of a chart plotter
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Michael T glad you avoided a major problem. I asked about getting all that fancy "stuff" on my boat and I got an answer I did not expect. He said "Do you want to go for a boat ride or play with a computer?" Well put I keep an eye on my gauge's and I use my RayMarine GPS but most of all I use my eye (blind in one..lol) to make sure me and my crew are safe... Just my 2 cents.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The tragic boat crash in NY over the weekend is a reminder too: uncharted obsticals (barge). His was a small boat, going too fast at night, probably all drinking too mind you. An auto pilot will keep you on a straight line to a waypoint, and it cares less about what is in between. Many a pier head hit from that method.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    The tragic boat crash in NY over the weekend is a reminder too: uncharted obsticals (barge). His was a small boat, going too fast at night, probably all drinking too mind you. An auto pilot will keep you on a straight line to a waypoint, and it cares less about what is in between. Many a pier head hit from that method.

I hand't heard about this. not intending to hi-jack the thread, here's more on that story... sad. boating is supposed to creat fun, happy memories. not this:

http://news.msn.com/us/bride-to-be-confirmed-dead-driver-arrested-in-hudson-crash

• Options

LaRea, I got the octopus from HodgesMarine dot com.  I installed the entire system myself, it was really quite simple. Nothing anyone who can twist a wrench couldnt do. Now i agree AP will take you anywhere you tell it to go including over rocks, land, or boats in your path so you HAVE TO watch.. There really is no excuse to go in the cabin, make dinner, have a nap, or take a dump when going 30mph on AP. Im always within an arms length of the wheel and throttles.

One of the reasons AP is so nice for us, is that we do most of our boating at low speeds and enjoy the ride. Keeping a straight line at 6mph for 3 hours gets tiring . We also have a 10 day Lake Michigan trip in 2 weeks going well over 300 miles. Just crossing Michigan in a perfect straight line wil save time and fuel. So far I love it and dont think i could own another boat without it. Your friends will all think youre pretty cool too cuz your boat drives itself lol.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    For those who do really want to use a GPS under autopilot the only way, in my opinion, to avoid having the GPS take you on what we call "a straight liner" over the tip of an island is, in my opinion, to activate the GPS memory to one (or in my case up to 5000) of your favourite destinations and enter waypoints as you proceed and particularly at all critical areas (shoals, rocks, turns etc.). For example, I will take the route to the marina that I talked about in my comments above many times. So, I just press the "waypoint" icon at all critical areas - such as avoiding that spot with the 300' shoal. Once that's done for a route and saved "technically" you "should" be fine. That said, my friend's (who owned a marina) son was out boating at night. He had a preprogrammed GPS with saved waypoints. Some dufus had tied-up a swimming/diving raft about 70' off his waterfront with no markings or lights "just overnight" until he could place it properly in the morning!. Bill hit it at night. Thankfully he was not going too fast, just some bruised ribs from the steering wheel.  I have, in my opinion, at this moment the best and most advanced guidance system for the "average" guy. If I use it in auto pilot during daylight it will be with very great care, probably at lower speeds and definately with an eye on a chart hardcopy. I don't know if I'll ever trust it enough to use it at night - maybe if I am using a course that I have persnoally entered all of the critical the waypoints for? As for leaving the helm - never!!!!! There is a rule on my boat. Even if the Admiral and I swap places at the helm we announce out loud "throttles in neutral" before we hand over the helm. I may be an overcautios old geezer but how do you explain an accident and maybe even injuries if you weren't even at the helm paying close attention? I have seen too many boats and lives ruined due to momentary inattention at the helm and have had more than one close call myself, in my youth, (long gone) due to temporary inattention - I was a sucker for bikinis. My 2 cents. MT
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

MT has a great point and a valuable lesson for anyone considering the NEED of an AP on their sport boat. And as usual Ray and BD, speaking from experience, cut to the chase, which I 2nd. As for myself, being a fairly accomplished off shore sailor that relied on an AP for runs that could last from a few hrs to days, I certainly wouldn't need an AP in-shore unless it's a wide open space and then only at around 6kts, nor would you ever leave the helm without an assigned watch for more than a few seconds. And that's going at a relatively slow stick boat pace.

They are certainly an invaluable tool on LONG off shore runs to relieve fatigue but I can't imagine how these could be safe at 25kts+ if debris/larger wildlife/crab traps/traffic suddenly became visible up under the bow or, as mentioned, when chart error or a mech malfunction inevitably (often instantly) rears it's head. Of course it's done but only in wide open water under tight watch.

Glad the Seahare has the system figured out and it sounds like it's for use on off shore transits but beware the temptation to use it in areas of floating/submerged debris, high traffic or anywhere in-shore. That said, for the reason we needed an AP it was one of the single most useful tools we had on-board, a lot like the cruise control in my boat mule of a 3/4 ton Suburban tow vehicle.

It's all good dialogue to help each captain decide what his needs are. My needs now seem to be based on ice, peaceful anchorages and my fuel slurping stink pot mechanical propulsion systems. LOL, that old sailor still lurks in there.. >-)
    Safe passage and fair winds, Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Glad to hear the Octopus installation is that easy.  It seems to be compatible with all of the major AP brands.

Just so we're all clear:  Having an autopilot never relieves you of your duty to keep a constant watch.  Even if you are following a known route of safe waypoints, you CANNOT leave the helm or abandon your watch.  

What you can do is sit or stand in whatever comfortable position you want -- as long as you stay within easy reach of the wheel and engine controls, and always keep at least one pair of eyes scanning the water.  It's nice -- don't knock it until you've tried it! 

At no-wake speed, my boat wanders back and forth like most express cruisers.  To hold a constant heading, I have to repeatedly turn the wheel about 45 degrees left, right, left, right.  The autopilot takes care of that busy-work while I focus on navigating.  Another benefit:  in the eyes of other nearby captains, holding a rock-steady heading makes me appear more predictable (always a good thing).  

At planing speed, there's no particular danger using an autopilot.  When you drive fast, things happen fast, with or without an autopilot.  You have to pay attention, with or without an autopilot.  

The AP does reduce fatigue on long trips, and it helps me follow an efficient, predictable straight line.  In big, open water such as the Chesapeake Bay, I usually program a route of waypoints.  In constrained waters like the upper Potomac, I just steer to a heading by eye, and then let the AP hold the heading until I need to turn.  Any time I'm following a straight course for more than 30 seconds or a minute, I'll usually engage the AP.

By the way:  autopilot or not, I would NEVER blindly follow a route that was created by a software tool. 

• Options

Just adding this has been a great thread to read though, super comments to make you think, in a good way.

Cheers!  Chris

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited August 2013

• Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I just read through this interesting post. Many good comments. Like the OP said, it's a great tool, as long as it is used as more or less the same as cruise control in a car. And you need not worry about hydro planing in wet weather :). I have AP on my Axius premium but have never used it. Maybe I'm too lazy to figure it out but for the boating we do, I don't see a need. What I do use about 90% of our no wake cruising is the auto heading feature. It keeps me active while controlling the boat through the waters but at a lot less effort than steering it myself. I've also become somewhat of an expert with it after a few years of use. I wouldn't be without it.
    Wayne '09 340 EC