Flotilla Wiring

KernKern Member Posts: 6
Hi All,

Newbie here.  I bought a 2000 Flotilla last August.  It has a Mercruiser 5.7 EFI with a Bravo III outdrive.  I enjoyed using the boat for the short season I had it last year and am looking forward to this year's boating time.

As background, I am an automotive engineer with many years experience in the automotive and support industries and have specialized in lighting and electrical.

I started to do a spring cleanup and preparation for the coming season.  During this work I was digging into the innards of the boat.  I discovered that the electrical harnesses on this boat are what the English would call "A dog's breakfast".

I found wires that were too long, poorly routed, and not adequately protected.  In addition the battery is in the engine compartment and the engine compartment lid is opened by an electrical lift, so if the battery is dead, there is no way to access it for jumping or charging it.

In general, it appears that Rnker, despite their many years of history, are still operating in the dark ages when it comes to electrical design and execution.

I am doing some extensive re-engineering and rewiring of the boat to correct what problems I currently see.  There may be others that appear in the future.

This is not a request for assistance or information, just a note to inform other owners if they are interested.

Kern

Comments

• youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Its not just Rinker, I swear its ALL boat manufacturers.  I think they buy the wire harnesses from Special Ed wire supplies. If I were you I would just clean up what you can do the easiest and then LEAVE IT ALONE.  Otherwise you will end up re-wiring the whole dang boat (been there done that).
    If you do end up redoing all the wires, please follow the marine wire standards.
    Good luck
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 270fv has switch panel that has 2 post in it.if battery is dead you jump the hatch there to open.also there is a coupler at the top off the lift you can pull up the hatch a bit just to release the pin.and yes you can buy the harness buy the ft. With all the same colors
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

My friends Pursuit just had the wire harness catch on fire during his launch this weekend. He's also an electrician in the auto industry and I'd like to think he's totally OCD about his boat (like me as well), everything needs to be perfect ... so this is not a case of neglect.

He is now looking at $650 USD to buy a new harness and a bit of wiring to do.

This is definitely not a Rinker thing, but a general industry thing due to the competition in this industry.  I agree wiring in the Rinker could be cleaner, but I wouldn't say compromises are made from a safety and integrity point of view. It's more of an orderly thing.

If you want top notch wiring, everything running like a perfect circuit board ... well, you'd need to go to a Cobalt to get that (really impressive how clean the wiring is). But then be prepare to pay $100k more for the same boat size.

Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or a Tiara. Have you ever seen their wiring?  WOW
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Handy Tiara and Pursuit are the same company. Are you saying Tiara's wiring is good or bad?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    No. Good. They probably pay a guy a lot of money to do the wiring. Must be a reason they cost more
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Pursuit is the same company as Tiara and are a lot of money but MarkB is saying Pursuit wiring is a mess........ Go figure......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't say a mess bUT something happens with the OEM installation that lead to harness overheating and melting before the fuse went.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I had my dash apart last weekend trying to solve why one of my trim tabs is not working. It is a serious rats nest back there. I actually disconnected a few plugs and untangled a few wires where they were what I thought to be dangerously taught. I wouldnt even know where to begin with rewiring. 
  • ralphjaufralphjauf Member Posts: 3
    it always the same.