Options

First time boat purchaser soon to be!

I've grown up with Four Winns in the family, however I'm looking at two 1998 Captiva 212s right now.  One has 5.0 and the other 5.7.  

I guess what I'm looking for from all of you is some advice on the Rinker and what to look for when searching for the right one to purchase. 

Thanks everyone and I apologize newbie post

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I previously had a Four Winns 258 Vista before I jumped over to the Rinker. Love it. I had the 5.7 in my 258 and it was a great engine. Great out of the hole and pretty fuel efficient as well. I would go for as much motor as you can get that falls within your budget. What is your primary purpose going to be for the boat? Tubing, skiing? If so, you know your answer. Good luck in your decision. Welcome to the Rinker family!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    ejjones5502ejjones5502 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info.  Yes I have two kids (7 and 5), tubing/skiing/etc.  But, I'm almost 2 mins from Detroit River/Lake Erie and want enough to cruise up and down the river and hangout at the sandbars.
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    As a few guys on here are fond of saying, you'll never sit back some day and say, "Man, I wish I had less motor...". Welcome aboard, sounds like a nice summer ahead for you and your family.
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    chamberb said:
    As a few guys on here are fond of saying, you'll never sit back some day and say, "Man, I wish I had less motor...". Welcome aboard, sounds like a nice summer ahead for you and your family.
    ....except maybe when fuel prices are back up over $5.50 a gallon at marina's lol.
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    LOL ... and it is already creeping back up...
  • Options
    https://jxn.craigslist.org/boa/5493096938.html

here is one I'm looking at and might take a look at in person
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Which is crazy that its creeping up, as we have so much cheap crude flooding our markets right now.  The storage houses are just about full in the US...

Go bigger if you can.  Hopefully whatever one you buy you can get its service history and a feel for how the owner treated it.  Make sure you get a quality survey done and water test it.  Sometimes they'll let you bring a mechanic with you to really give a through and through.

Best of luck and welcome!

• Options
    sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2005 captiva 212, have only owned since last fall. Would have preferred a 5.7 but none for sale in a 250 mile radius so I have a 5.0 EFI. Performs well and runs wot at 52 with 4 people on the boat. Would imagine the engines you are talking about are carbuerated, if so would definitely want the 5.7.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    A few things to look at being its clark lake damage to keel from beaching skeg and prop damage from sand bars impeller from sucking sand in it from shallow water. Water sitting for long periods in ski locker. Not trying to rain on your parade just giving you something to look for. Did a lot of boating out that way and those are a lot of problems I have seen in that area. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    JC290 said:
    A few things to look at being its clark lake damage to keel from beaching skeg and prop damage from sand bars impeller from sucking sand in it from shallow water. Water sitting for long periods in ski locker. Not trying to rain on your parade just giving you something to look for. Did a lot of boating out that way and those are a lot of problems I have seen in that area. 
    I appreciate that info for sure!
  • Options
    The one with the 5.7 is here.  

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/5551291772.html

some minor seam repair need on engine cover, and maybe a good clean scrubbing

owner stated it was at Lake St Helen for last four years and he is second owner

I'm leaning toward looking at this one first
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Thats right by me. You want the 5.7 for sure
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    What city do you live in by the Detroit River @ejjones5502 I can't be to far from you here in Wyandotte

Riverview
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Welcome to the forum.  Looking at both, I'd start with the 5.7 one as well.  Although the red look pretty sharp on the other one.  Good luck and ask any questions here as there are many captiva owners.  Good luck!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ChillLaxinChillLaxin Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    There are lot's of boats out there. Don't fall in love with a looker..... get the cleanest well cared for boat you can afford with the biggest powerplant!
  • Options
    There are lot's of boats out there. Don't fall in love with a looker..... get the cleanest well cared for boat you can afford with the biggest powerplant!
    For sure...already passed on three due to condition and bad vibes from an owner.  I'm searching for the creampuff
  • Options
    ChillLaxinChillLaxin Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Good for you!!  :)  Good luck on the search. Be sure to post pics when you find the right gal!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5.7 ........ then you can stroke it to a 390+Hp 383 LOL :-)
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Step around the floor with deep solid steps looking for soft spots. Check engine compartment for soft boards or wood rot. It's difficult to spot this stuff since none of its exposed but you can sometimes find some wood around motor mounts and transom mounts. Also little tiny air bubbles in the gel are signs of water damage. You don't want a boat with a rotten transom or stringers and seeing that you are looking at 17-18 year old boats those things can be a serious concern. When I was shopping for my 232 I found a couple that had soft floors. Best of luck to you and welcome to the club. You are about 3 weeks too late, a friend just sold his 212, 5.7, motor rebuilt 2 seasons ago and new upholstery last season. FWIW he moved up to a 232 for only a couple thousand more. Have you considered a 232, a lot more room and wider beam than the 212...and you can get one with a 454 if you are a real hp junkie. I love my 232 cuddy, pretty much the perfect sized boat, easily trailered, enough power have fun and pull a few people around on toys and enough room to spend a weekend.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice looking boats- good luck on your search!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can compression test the engine and pressure test the drive. If you think you have found the "one". Tell the owner he pays for the tests and if it passes you'll pay him back and buy the boat! Drew would probably like to see an oil analysis too!
  • Options

Finally going to see this one tomorrow.  Hopefully passes my picky eye ball test and then owner is going to start it up with the muffs.

Hopefully as clean as it looks and he says
  • Options

Finally going to see this one in the morning.  This one appears cleaner and better taken care of then the other green one I posted.  Downside I guess is this red one has 5.0 vs the green having the 5.7.  

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to pray it passes my picky eye ball test, owner going to start it with the muffs for me as well.  

• Options

Finally going to see this one in the morning.  This one appears cleaner and better taken care of then the other green one I posted.  Downside I guess is this red one has 5.0 vs the green having the 5.7.  

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to pray it passes my picky eye ball test, owner going to start it with the muffs for me as well.