Options

Windshield Frame Damage

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
As most of you guys know, my covered slip collapsed on my boat due to snow load. I was finally able to get a really good look today and there is damage to the window frame in 2 places. Any comments on how to fix this without replacing the entire window? I can claim it on insurance but really don't want to claim a new windshield as Taylor Made is swamped with orders due to all the damage at the lake. 10 months to even start making a new one. Regal 3855 next to ours was quoted $50,000 to replace theirs....ouch.
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you just roll with it for the season?
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Oh I can roll with it. No problem. Its just that it is damage from the roof collapse and I will need to submit a supplemental insurance claim as the original claim is paid. Just hate to not have all the damage fixed by insurance since that is what it is for. Can you just replace the trim and not the entire windshield?
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al will answer this
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it got your gel coat as well.  I'm pretty sure I have seen windshields on great Lakes skipper in the past. Maybe you'll luck out and theyll have your model and insurance will buy it for you. 
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Those marks can easily be polished out with aluminum oxide sand paper and or emery cloth. Start with something more coarse and then work your way to something very fine. After you are done hit it with steel wool or scotchbrite pad to give it the smooth matte factory finish. It will take at least 3 different grains of sandpaper to achieve a smooth look.  Make sure to mask off any areas around it so your don't scuff your gelcoat or any of the the rubber seal. I also suggest cutting some small pieces of wood and wrapping them in the sand paper, that will act as a sanding block and will ensure consistency and make sure you don't sand a divot or low spot into the metal. I work for a plastic molding company and we have a mold making shop here and this is how they polish all of our new molds when they come off the CNC's or repair old molds that get dings, scuffs and scratches in them.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Consider gluing something over the area that looks functional. Put on opposite side too for balance.  Consider a plastics shop and color option.  Mold and cut to size and cover the damaged. They may have a simular grey color. The key is to look functional.  

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also get a variety of specialty off the shelf aluminum paints, with sprayed-on or hammered characteristics. As well many paint shops will make a matching colour and put in an aerosol can for you. If you can do this yourself it will probably look better than an insurance claim. Sand the frames, tack rag them, then tape-off areas and spray them. FWIW that's what I would do.