Options

oil filters

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
are the oem oil filters that much better than the automotive counterpart filters worth the $5 -$10 more? all oil filters have the anti siphon valve and most have the smaller micron filtering media and the automotive filters have a longer life, not that I wouldn't change every season anyway. I have a 2005 350mpi with the remote oil filter and the filter costs anywhere from $16 to $22 depending on who you buy them from, and the equivalent auto ones are about $6 to $8, since they are a 1 season throw away why not use the auto ones? what's your opinions on this?? I'm sure there will be a lot for both ways. thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I do use the full synthetic oil all the time, seems thinner than marine oil, maybe not quite thinner than auto oil.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synthetic has much better flow characteristics at lower temperatures than a traditional mineral oil base at the same viscosity rating. Even room temperature. So it often looks thinner. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

The guy who built my 383 recommended Wix filters and Kendal racing oil. 

I have used Mercruiser High Efficiency Oil Filters in combination with the Mercruiser Semi-Synthetic oil for my former 2014 EC 360.

I would have preferred to use Full Synthetic but Mercury wanted me to use the Semi Synthetic as they said it was specifically formulated for catalytic converter engines, whereas their Full Synthetic was not.

I have always preferred quality oil filters because of their ability to retain some oil for start-ups (check valve) and their ability to stay intact (internally) in the case of oil surges, whereas cheaper filters can come apart (internally) with predictable results. That won't happen with Wix or Mercruiser IMO.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a box of oil in my garage and an oil filter that was not exactly the same part number but the guy said it would work- still there and I went and bought the exact oil and filter spec'd for the boat...50 bucks sitting there...any takers?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury, try putting it on Craigslist in the boats section.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Merc Semi synthetic and the Merc high Efficiency oil filter as well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wix filter here (for the syn lube) and Mobil-1 15w-50 oil.  Lots of ZDDP in the Mobil-1 (not good for catalytic converters on a boat tho)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercruiser told me no additives unless specifically approved for MARINE cats ....and Mercruiser has changed their cat design recently from the three "brick" model to a one "brick" model - that's why they have developed a specific marine oil for their cats their words.