Options

Kohler 5e......what else do I need to change??

DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
Soo many posts about problems with this generator. Having surging issues with mine...does it with or without a load. Here's what I've done, changed plugs, cleaned spark arrestor, changed fuel separator, put on brand new carb, put on brand new fuel pump.....What am I missing here guys?

On a side note.....I have a good used carb and fuel pump for sale!
No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surging is a lean running issue. Have you checked both cylinders are firing?  It will run on one till you load it. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Both plugs looked the same so I just assumed they were firing. I'll check for spark on both tomorrow. It surges even under load.
  • Options
    The electric choke can be an issue too. Did you replace it or reuse it?  Are you running without the sound cover service door on?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The electric choke was new year before last and it moves without any hang ups. Any manual manipulation of the choke does not help the surging. I've always run it with the cover on without issues, cover has been off while I've been troubleshooting it and it doesn't make a difference.

• Options
    So moving the choke makes no difference in the surging?  Usually closing it some helps. I would look for a vacuum leak. Run the engine and spray some starting fluid around the intake manifold, if it accelerates you found the leak. It is running lean for some reason. You might pull the anti-diesel valve out and make sure it is clean and working. They do fail and would cause a lean running engine too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'll try the starter fluid trick to see if I can find a leak. Anti-diesel valve is new.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I would also say that it could be the choke
    vacuum leak
    or fuel delivery
    i worked on my friends same gen model last year.
    rebuilt the car and had to adjust it under load.
    put a new impeller in it 
    then had to replace the choke
    his boat came from the salt so choke was rusted shut.
    also make sure all tension springs are there and installed properly.
    if not it wills surge.
    easy way is to unhook the choke and manually open the butterfly to see if it levels out.
    Make sure fuel pickup is not clogged and still there.
    since it used a regular nylon tube that fits into the tank it sits so wen you are 1/4 tank gen will not start. That way it will give you fuel to start engines and get more fuel.
    on that note carefully unscrew the gen pickup and inspect the pickup tube.
    fuel pump is low pressure so if it fell off or has cracks it will starve the gen for fuel. On my buds boat I took the hose off and by manually starting the gen put the hose to my lip to check for suction.
    had strong pull so it eliminates the pump
    when I checked the fuel pickup there it was. Cracked tube that was partially broke.
    there is no filter on it since they have a inline fuel filter.
  • Options
    Get rid of the filter that screws into the fuel pump and use a good in line type. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI