Options

freeze plug

checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    just put my 2002 342 in water today.   when starting the port side engine the freeze plug(i think thats what its called) came out. water everywhere!!!!!!  tried to replace it with a rubber 1 1/2 plug that squeezes together but their is no room because a motor mount is right in the way.  Thier is only about a 3/4 inch clearnce b/4 the motor mount get s in the way.   anyone ever experince this or have any suggestions on how and why this happen?  this was my third season  winterizing it and did nothing diffrent than the 2 seasons.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were to use the correct plug is there enough room to set it with a brass drift and hammer? (Use some sealant also).
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    The plug you are reffering to is a casting plug, this plug is only in the block to remove the casting sand.  Commonly the plug is called a "Freeze Plug"  this plug will commonly press out of the block when ice expands.  Your block froze, more than likely you also have cracks.  If you are lucky the cracks will only be on the outside and not on the intake valley.  I would pull the engine check for outside cracks, reinstall a new casting plug and test run outside the boat with water flowing.  This is very common to do before reinstalling.  Do several heat cycles to verify no water leaks and clean oil.  If the oil turns milky, the block is done and will need replaced.  Good luck  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    I was able to get the old plug back in.   I've ran it for about 20 mins with no leaks yet..  rechecked oil and didn't find any water in it    I visual don't see any cracks in the block.   but hard see it all.   Maybe I escaped with no damage.    
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Good luck checkmate hopefully you dodged a bullet...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the plug rusted out or just came out? If it popped out, Al has good comments.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Well it looks like i did dodge that bullet.  I took it out yesterday afternoon for an hour boat trip and everthing checked out good.                                                                                                                    Black diamond---- When i first saw the leak on the first start up i shut the engine down.  I went to where i saw water leaking from and ran my hand across the plug and it just fell out then. So i really dont think it popped out.   I kinda think it may have been slowly coming out from last season.  their is rust marking of it dripping directly below the plug that look old.   also i always had some water in the engine compartment(last year) that would come back whenever i pumped all the water out.