Options

Big waves

Hello everyone, I was wondering about the easiest/smoothest way going over big waves by cruisers, barges, etc. I have a 2001 Rinker Captiva 212. I'm still kind of new to boating, I don't know if I should go fast and try to jump them or go slow. I don't hammer down or anything, I usually go about 20 mph or so. I've heard I need to just head straight into them and Ive also heard going at a 45 degree angle. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Lmao do not try to jump them. Or atleast I don't advise against it. I have a 280 and I take big waves/wakes at a 45. I am sure others have a perference. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    45 degree angle
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    On a really big wake, if you go straight into it, you risk stuffing the bow into the water when you're "surfing" down the backside of the first wave and then you hit the next one.  A 45-degree angle is usually safest and most comfortable.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just watched a video where a huge tanker is taking 40 foot waves head on. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not hit them head on, that will point your nose (bow) down as you hit the next wave, and can bring in water, plus makes things unecessarily uncomfortable. 

Hit them at a 45 degree angle going slow enough that you don't jump out of the water. You don't have to go at a crawling speed, you can probably hit them at like 8 mph or more if you go on a 45, depends on your boat and how comfortable you are.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I would slow down pretty far (off plane) and hit them at an oblique angle of at least 45 degrees. As the cruiser wakes are usually formed in a V, the angle is easy just slowing down while continuing to go down or up river. However as barge wakes are often large rolling waves going directly behind the barge, doing the angle forces you across the river out of you normal path and you have to be careful not to get trapped in the trough. Better to try to stay on one side or the other with the barges or big paddle wheels and not cross their rolling wake until it goes down a little bit if possible.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭