How much space in a slip?

I'm looking for input as to what everyone feels is adequate & optimal space in a slip. I am in a very sheltered cove on a freshwater river with very little current or waves and want to know how much space there should be between the edge of the dock and the boat.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 342 is in a 35' dock that is 15' wide. Boat is 37' overall with a 12' beam. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in a 20 foot wide slip for my 242 that has an 8'6" beam. Gives me plenty of room for a future upgrade.

2008 330EC
  • HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    My 342 is in a 40 foot slip. 15 feet wide. Boat is 37 X 12 foot beam. Plenty of room. I think 1.5 feet on each side is perfect since you can step off the boat onto the side fingers on both sides but plenty of room to dock.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate docking without the finger piers, throw in another boat to worry about...foot and a half to slip in, I'd be taking or leaving fiberglass somewhere.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my marina, there are some boats that are basically "friction fit" between the pilings.  Not what they want, but sometimes it's reality.  Ideally, 1.5 feet on each side is what you'd like.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd say 1.5 ft between the dock and your boat is good. You definitely don't want the lines too tight.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of docks are you using? Are they floating or stationary? Are there pilings between the boats to tie to?

Where I dock at, the docks float. I am on one side of a finger and there is a boat on the other side of a finger. There is 24 feet between fingers. Fortunately for me there is an 18' runabout next to me. When I back in, I leave 1 1/2' between the back of the swim platform and the dock. The way the current runs, I am 6-8" between the boat and the finger with dock bumpers installed on the dock so I don't need to put out fenders each time. Here is an overhead of where I am docked at. I am the blue boat on the finger with the red boat.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My slip is an odd-ball, almost 18' wide x 35'. Finger pier on one side. Floating docks are awesome, but none around me here, just too much open water that gets whipped up.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • smvorca350zsmvorca350z Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone!  The reason I ask is that I'm looking at a boat that has a 10' 6" beam and my current slip is 11'2".  I want to stay at my current slip because I like the other boaters on it and to move up to the next size doubles my slip fee...
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narrow slips like that are not uncommon.  You'll manage.  

Suggestion: For any lines that are tied to fixed pilings, consider installing TideMinders.  That will let you tie your lines with less slack, which will help keep your boat exactly where you want it. 
  • HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    If the new boat has twin engines, I'd feel fine doing it. A single would be a little more difficult. We have a boat on our finger that has a 14 foot beam in a 15 foot slip and he has no issues.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's pretty tight!  6" of play, 3" per side ...

I would rather want a 13 to 14' wide slip.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:

Wow, that's pretty tight!  6" of play, 3" per side ...

I would rather want a 13 to 14' wide slip.

I was thinking the same, no room to put your bumpers out.
    2008 330EC
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

My boat is 12'3" beam, 39' overall.  My slip is a 35' with 12'10" of width.  I wish it were wider and not so close to land/rocks, but its in a beautiful spot right next to the pool and beach.  So we deal with it.  Plus its less expensive.

I put dock edging on the pilings and finger pier, and run two bumpers with fleece covers on them on the pier side.  Its a fixed dock so I cannot avoid rubbing during high tide, but its minimal and I'm ok with it.