Options

Adding an inverter

JimWJimW Member Posts: 1
edited May 2016 in Electrical Discussions
Hi I have a 2006 270 Fiesta Vee.Has anyone connected an inverter through the generator circuit.If so is the generator main on the power panel pre wired to the engine compartment or do you have to make a wire run from the panel to the engine compartment.

Mark B,
  Thanks for the quick reply to clarify there is no generator installed on this boat . For the amount of ac power I need I want to permanent mount a 2k inverter on the bulkhead in the engine compartment and be able to control the inverter from the main power panel using the generator main breaker.The question I have is there a wire harness from the panel to the engine compartment that is not being used or do I need to run my own wiring from the panel back.
Post edited by JimW on

Answers

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry please clarify ... your generator is making 110V right?  What do you want an inverter for?  Do you want to go to 12V?  Your generator should be going through your battery charger to resupply the batteries with 12V, so you can keep using your 12V accessories.

Why do you need an inverter on a generator?  Just want to understand what you're trying to do before we give advice.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    CTerrySGDCTerrySGD Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Was thinking of this same concept.... I also do not have a generator and wondered whether it would make sense to wire it into the generator breaker of the AC panel.  This way it could be controlled by a separate circuit but then I realized that the newer nicer inverter have transfer switches built in and can be wired with a remote head to turn them on and off..... Almost all motor homes are built with inverters now and the remote head is by the door so you can easily turn on and off.  Was thinking of tracking down the wiring diagram for an RV to analyze the concept and adapt it for my boat.  I think it makes more sense right now then adding a generator. 

In a perfect world I'd like a generator but by adding an extra battery and inverter, I'd be happy running fridge, fans and tv's while taking days trips and allowing alternators to help charge while underway.
    2007 300 EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the boat is prewired for the generator. You can have the inverter wired to that circuit on the panel. I wired a 2500 watt pure sine inverter on my boat and it ran the batteries down crazy fast. If you have one that only draws a lot when it is needed, you should be good to go. Others on here have done it, and it does work. Mine did not because the inverter made the high wattage all the time. I could run a 40 watt light bulb or the ac system. It still put out 2500 watts. Good luck and keep us posted. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    DO NOT PUT THE INVERTER IN THE ENGINE AREA   bad bad bad idea. Ill say it again DO NOT PUT THE INVERTER IN THE ENGINE AREA......doing that equals boom. 
    Welding cable and big honking connectors and mount the inverter anywhere in the boat except for the engine compartment
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    DO NOT PUT THE INVERTER IN THE ENGINE AREA   bad bad bad idea. Ill say it again DO NOT PUT THE INVERTER IN THE ENGINE AREA......doing that equals boom. 
    Welding cable and big honking connectors and mount the inverter anywhere in the boat except for the engine compartment
    Even if it's a marine inverter built for an engine compartment installation or a marine combo battery charger / inverter?
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the boat is prewired for the generator. You can have the inverter wired to that circuit on the panel. I wired a 2500 watt pure sine inverter on my boat and it ran the batteries down crazy fast. If you have one that only draws a lot when it is needed, you should be good to go. Others on here have done it, and it does work. Mine did not because the inverter made the high wattage all the time. I could run a 40 watt light bulb or the ac system. It still put out 2500 watts. Good luck and keep us posted. 
    What make and model inverter did you use?
  • Options
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    my opinion only.  If the inverter malfunctions or if the cables become loose, the engine compartment is the last place you want it. When it comes to electrics I am total ocd regarding what could happen
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I don't know but for around 2400$ for a inverter is lot of money.At that price you could get 2 Honda generator 2000 that will get everything working in your boat .
    It only my opinion.
    Paul
  • Options
    I don't know but for around 2400$ for a inverter is lot of money.At that price you could get 2 Honda generator 2000 that will get everything working in your boat .
    It only my opinion.
    Paul
    Since I wasn't able to get it to work properly, I ended up getting the Ryobi version of the Honda. 1800 watts with a 2200 watts peak. It is just as quiet as the Honda, or pretty darn close to it. It ran me $600 US for it at Home Depot.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    JimW,
    I did that exact same thing on an older boat that I had. The boat was prewired for a generator and I just tapped into that circuit with a 2000 watt inverter mounted on the bulkhead. I changed my house batts to 3 group 31's and it had plenty of power for coffee maker and microwave.
    An inverter built for marine use will be ok in the engine compartment. TON's of boats out there have them, many are OEM options.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342