Options

Overheat on engine and generator

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Engine Discussions

Well first family trip out on the boat this season and we headed out to one of our favorite anchorages in Watch Hill RI.  We had a great day and the new dinghy/motor and Trick Davit system performed flawlessly.

We were going to stay overnight but they were calling for winds of 20+ in the morning so decided to head back to the dock about 7 miles away.  Engines started right up, let them warm up, and proceeded to the channel at no wake speeds.  I then stepped on it and, heard a strange growl from my port side engine (8.1L 496) and looked back to notice a bit of smoke coming from that side of the boat.  The engine alarm then went off and it looked like the temp on that engine was at 225 or so.  I got off plane quickly and killed the engine and promptly noticed my bilge pump on and working hard to get water out of the bilge.  It stopped pumping so I decided to not investigate further at that moment.  It was getting dark.  I cruised home at 7 knots on one engine and proceeded to have fun docking in the dark with a decent wind.

Back at dock I investigated and immediately found a hose popped off.  It looked to be a sea water hose that ran from the heat exchanger to the port side exhaust manifold area.  It connected to the assembly that houses one of the blue drain plugs, lower on the port side of the engine.  The hose clamp was gone and must have broke.  When the engine was on I suspect this thing was pumping lots of water into the bilge.  Being after the sea water pump it must have stopped once I shut the engine off.  I haven't run the engine since then as I needed to get the correct size hose clamp.  Which I couldn't believe I didn't have the right size on board (major no no).  So I'm hopeful all is well.  What has me worried is the growl sound I heard.  I wouldn't think that would have happened with popping a sea water hose.  Any ideas?  What is typically the danger zone for engine temps and it causing other damage?

Oil and coolant levels are good, and no other apparent leaks.  So hopefully all is well once I start up next time.

I'm likely going to replace all hose clamps I can see.  I had two break last year and now one this year.  I'm thinking many are beyond their usable life on a 10 year old boat.

Last problem of the day was my Kohler genny shut down for no apparent reason.  It purred like a kitten for an hour and then just shut off.  I happened to be at the back of the boat at the time, and was right there when it shut down.  Water flow was perfect and everything sounded fine.  I'm guessing an internal temperature alarm went off and shut her down.  I noticed the coolant level in the overflow tank was to the brim.  I suppose I could have over filled it when I topped fluids off the beginning of this season, but I didnt' think I did.  And i wouldn't think and overfilled reservoir would cause any issue.  The coolant smells, looks and feels normal.  I removed some of the excess coolant and fired the genny up for 15 minutes or so.  It ran fine and didn't shut down.  Coolant level remained constant.  Oil is new and level is fine.  So not sure what the heck caused the issue??  Maybe i'll change the spark plugs just for the heck of it, lol...

Boats are so unreliable......

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Well, the hose coming off.  That happened to me 3 different times in one season on my 310.  The seawater pump ones are the first to go because they are low and will get the most condensation.  Definitely replace them.  Mine started happening around age year 8-9 with that boat.  the noise, just see if it runs at normal idle.  I'm betting that was just normal.  Make it a lesson to have clamps you need.  I will add though for everyone out there, if you have something like this happen and you don't have the clamp, take it off the exit exhaust hose on your genny.  That clamp is larger than any of the rest.  Believe me, I know cause I learned. 

As for the genny, is your fuel tank above 1/4?  make sure the hose in your antifreeze overflow is all the way down, so it will draw it back in from the bottom.  I'm thinking you sucked something into your strainer and it overheated.  you could still have water flowing, just not enough.  Hopefully it doesn't get air locked.  See if the overflow went back down to normal. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I'm debating getting some T-nut hose clamps.  I use to run these on my turbo car that ran a lot of boost.  They work great but are spendy and will only fit in certain areas.  But man do they hold...
  • Options
    I'm debating getting some T-nut hose clamps.  I use to run these on my turbo car that ran a lot of boost.  They work great but are spendy and will only fit in certain areas.  But man do they Kuriyama TBC-SS051 Heavy Duty T-Bolt Hose Clamp 304 Stainless Steel  Band Bolt and Nut 1-78quot to 2-116quot
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought every hose has to be double clamped?
  • Options
    Not sure but almost all engine hoses are single clamped on my 496's.  The only double clamps I see are on the exhaust leading up to the y pipe.  Also all thru hull fittings are double clamped, like AC, Genny, etc. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think typically thru hulls are double, others are not. I believe my raw water in some places are double but not at the pump itself....I don't see what the above clamp would not fit (and be easier to tighten and loosen) where a regular clamp would. The finer thread, however, might be more prone to corrosion and then getting difficult to get on and off.....
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

All my airconditioner raw water and head raw water hoses are double clamped. I have to look in the engine compartment to see if they are as well.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handy, any hose that would sink the boat if it came off in idle (non-operating) condition is double clamped.

• Options
  • Options
    Replaced a bunch of clamps and reattached hose and the engine is running great. 

Now the genny is a different story. I ran it for 25-30 minutes and it shut down again. Water flow was perfect. The heat exchanger got pretty warm but not hot. Now where the heat exchanger connects to the block it was hot.  The coolant metal cap was hot. All of this area I think is supposed to get hot based on all the warning stickers on it. With that said I'm thinking I have a coolant related issue. When it shut down, again I noticed that the coolant overflow bottle was nearly full and much higher than when I started it. That doesn't seem right to me. My understanding is that the engine only shuts down when you have an overheat condition, low oil pressure, or high water temp. My flow is good and impeller was replaced end of last seasob so I would think that's not it, my oil is new and at the appropriate level, which leaves cooling. Any ideas anyone?  Could it be a simple coolant change?  I haven't done that to date and unsure if the prior owner did it in the 100 hours he ran it. If so any good procedure on this?

This is a 2005 Kohler 5e, 250 hours, operated without the sound shield, typically in salt water. Water temp is 52 now. 
  • Options
    gas level in the tank?
  • Options
    Little over 1/4 tank. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get air into the 5e coolant system, it will not bleed out on its own. It will trigger an over temp too. There is a bleed screw (brass plug) on the engine side of the heat exchanger (not the round exchanger part). It is a bugger to get the trapped air out. I ended up putting in a barbed fitting in place of the plug and hooked a tube to it and used a hand held oil drain pump to pull a vacuum, leave the cap on and have the overflow bottle full. Pulling a vacuum will draw out the air and pull in the antifreeze from the overflow bottle. Once purged just reinstall the plug. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    BD,

That is great info!  I am sure this problem will come up for other members of the forum.  Someone should fix it so this thread is always available.  Thanks for the info!

Patrick
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It's running now. Going on 20 minutes. I put in new plugs, ran with anode out to flush the exchanger a bit, replaced anode, checked and ensured impeller was fine, great water flow. I then filled from the radiator cap and opened the bleeder. Some air definitely came out. I squeezed coolant hoses and refilled. And now I'm running. Hopefully it's fixed. If not I'll try the 1/8 npt fitting and pump. 

Has anyone tried opening the bleeder just a bit while running?  With the circulator pump going I would think any air bubbles would bleed under pressure?
    Post edited by craigswardmtb on
  • Options
    Well it ran for 31 minutes. Doh!
  • Options
    Put some gas in the boat!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't understand why the amount of fuel in my boat would be the issue?  There is 3/8 of a tank and I have definitely run it on less. If it was fuel pressure I would think it would not run fine for the first 30 minutes. Based on the coolant overflow after 30 minutes of running I'm fairly confident it must be a temp shutdown. So that leaves air in the system, bad tstat, bad sensor, or bad circulating pump I would think. From all I read air in the system is common after winter layup and a pain to get out. I'll try BD's trick with the npt fitting first. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Not fuel pressure related
    anything bellow 1/4 tank will shut down your gen. Fuel pickup tube sits higher then main engines. This way you can't run it out of gas and be sol.
  • Options
    Interesting. Learn something new everyday. I still don't think that is the problem but will fill it up this weekend. 
  • Options
    I'll tell you first hand, changing the t-stat is a major pita. lol. The circulation pump is gear driven. Sensor..maybe, put your money on trapped air. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yeah I heard it's a pia to change the tstat. Isn't it between the exchanger and manifold kind of buried?
  • Options
    Yes, you have to drain the antifreeze...total mess. Then undo the manifold, more fun, it is towards you when undone. 2 o-rings to replace. The back bolts on the manifold are not easy to get too. You'll end up with sticky antifreeze everywhere. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @craigswardmtb where did you end up on this?
  • Options
    Well I don't want to claim success yet but I did what BD recommended and got an 1/8 npt barb, attached to the bleed hole and sucked some coolant. Some definite air bubbles came out. It's been running for 56 minutes with no issues. I'll give it another 20 and claim victory this round. 
  • Options
    To confirm, these have a 195 tstat in them, correct?  I was gonna go grab an IR gun for the boat for future use. My boat toolbox is getting a bit ridiculous...
  • Options
    Wohooo!!  I've had to bleed them before as well. PITA, but a nice fix when you are done.

• Options
    80 minutes and I shut it down. Fixed for now. 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!  It feels good when a big job like that is considered done and successful!
  • Options
    good deal! I still thought it was your gas....