Shore power

zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
do I have to manually turn off main breaker in the cabin before connecting or disconnecting the shore power on my rinker.
My old sea ray had a switches for 110 side and 12 side. So I had to manually flick them on and off.

Comments

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    The short answer is you don't have to but it is a very good idea. When turning off, switch off all individual switches first then the main power switch. Then the breaker on your shore power on the dock. Then disconnect the power cords from the boat. Just the opposite when hooking up. Cord into boat first then turn on shore power breaker, then main power switch then individual switches.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    It might be easier to just shut the shore power breaker off before plugging in.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good practice to switch off all you appliances, switch off the main 110V, switch off the shore power main, and then unplug at the service station before unpluggging at your boat.

When putting the 110V back on. With all the switches off, plug shore power into boat, then into service station, then turn on shore power main, then 110V main switch, then turn on each of your appliance switches.

There's 2 things you're trying to achieve. (1) prevent a live cable from accidentally discharging into the water, if one end ever fell in and (2) avoid a surge of power hitting an appliance when bringing the power back on.  By energizing the back bone with all the appliance switches off, you can avoid damaging a particular appliance via a power surge on connection.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I always switch everything off at the panel before unplugging shore power.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always shut everything down- I trailer so at home I plug in to shore power and would not want the a/c to kick on not in the water...that would not be good!