Options

2013 246 CC foldable arch, Nauticus trim tabs, and boat cover

BlackCardBlackCard Member Posts: 4

Hello all, I have a 246 with a fixed arch...I want to convert my arch to a foldable type for easy storage...My Rinker parts lady says the hinges are available for 112.50/each...but she doesn't have any drawings or other info regarding the foldable arch which is an option on the 2016's. Just wondering if anyone else out there was contemplating this mod or has already done it?

Also I just installed a set of Nauticus smarttabs SX10512-90...I'm still evaluating their effect on the boat but I will say I really disliked how the boat ran without trim tabs!  With the smarttabs the boat comes on plane almost instantly whereas before it was like climbing a mountain...I'm not sure yet what is happening once up on plane since I can't see the tabs. I'm wondering if the 90lb nitrogen charged shock is too stiff and the tab isn't being pushed to the horizontal. What this means is I need more time at the lake... 

Lastly I've been covering my boat with a 30x20 blue tarp...I make sure it's centered then make "hospital" corners at the bow and stern. I use cam/slide style tie downs and take the port corner over to the stbd side and vice versa, so they cross like an X. We had a big storm last night w/ 60 mph gusts and the cover was still intact and my boat snug as bug. Just a suggestion.  

Comments

• Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited June 2016

I just installed a set of the Nauticus Smart Tabs SX on my 232 a few weeks ago. I have yet to get out on the water to test them out. A friend of mine installed a set last year and it made a noticeable difference, however his boat is a couple feet smaller than mine so not sure if I will get the same results. I was so impressed with what I witnessed on his I bought a set for my boat over this past winter. It's hard to believe such a simple and inexpensive modification can make such a difference but they work!

As for your 90 pound shock question, there is no way it's too much for your 24 foot boat, if anything it's too light but they don't make anything heavier. I believe Nauticus specs the SX10512-90 at 25 ft max length and 250hp. I know I will be pushing the limits of the shock as my 5.7L makes a little over 250hp.

Richard Partlow Dordan

Post edited by partlowr on
  • Options
    BlackCardBlackCard Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply, I've got the smarttab on the lightest setting (1) and might move it to the 3 position before my next outing...the entire assy is made of plastic which doesn't lend itself to being manhandled out of the water, I was trying to push the tab up to horizontal with my hand but it felt kind of wobbly so I quit while I was ahead! No issues though after a day on the lake, so far so good:). I would love to see what it's doing at speed though!