Options

installing snaps

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, boating really gets you do doing little, and big things, you have never done before. I was able to buy a used mooring cover for a 270, it was an 03 model and I have an 05. I did not think it would be an exact fit, however, surprised how much different the size was. At any rate, I just use the cover for storage and the price was worth the material cost so not a problem there. I need to add a few snaps to the cover here and there to make it work a little better and will be happy with it....I started looking at tools, I understand I don't need one to do 20 covers a day and a DYI tool will be fine- most of which look pretty straight forward but does one of these crimper type tools do all sizes of snaps or does it matter? Have never held one in my hand....home depot has a little set for 5 bucks and assume you set with a hammer vs. a plier looking tool......I'm sure someone has been down this road....

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I bought one at JoAnne Fabrics for $39.99 and it works fine...and my wife pulled up a 40% off coupon on her phone so I think I ended up paying about $25 for it. I have used it for snaps on my cover as well as all the new snaps on my snap in carpet. It's not something that will ever get much use so it worked fine for doing a couple dozen snaps and now it will probably sit on the bottom of my toolbox for years to come. I could not justify paying any more than $20-$30 for something that will be used just once or twice in my life. I have my "good tools" which are high quality Matco, Snap-On and Craftsman for things that get a lot of regular use such as wrenches, pliers, ratchets/sockets, etc. and then I have my "cheap tools" usually purchased at places like Harbor Freight Tools or Walmart when I have an odd job or fix that requires a special tool that I will probably only use once or twice.
  • Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    rasbury said:
    So I need to find a tool that does the size snap I need to use...great

The one I bought actually came with 2 different size plates things(not sure what they are called) you can interchange so it can do a number off different sizes.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @partlowr- I had seen that which made me pose the question! Wally world has one I will go look at.....