Options

Shore Power Splitter at the Boat

DanaParshallDanaParshall Member Posts: 12

Hi guys.  I searched through the discussions and didn't see an exact match to my question.

Can any one confirm that using one 30 amp shore power cord at the dock and coupling that to a splitter (one male 30 amp to 2 female 30 amp) will work for my 2004 Rinker 342?  The splitter is not inexpensive and I would like to confirm there is not a problem before the purchase.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty common to see. You will just be limited to 30A. I carry one of those for transient dockage where there is only one outlet per slip. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using one for years. Just remember that you have 30 amps total. The splitter is great as with it you don't have to run two lines which marinas in my area charge a 50 amp price for and don't have to run toyourshore power to switch lines. One of my best buys!!!!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    In extremely rare situations, you might trip the 30A breaker on the dock.  That'll happen if, for example, you run the AC, water heater, microwave and a hair dryer at the same time (or something like that).  
  • Options
    DanaParshallDanaParshall Member Posts: 12
    Thanks everyone, I knew you guys would have a quick response.  Made the purchase this morning.  It will sure be better to only have to snake one cable instead of 2 since my shore power outlets on the boat are not dockside because of my docking arrangements.  I was concerned that "normal" power consumption might trip the single breaker and I was looking for confirmation that it would only be the abnormal situations.  That said, the significant other might challenge the abnormal situations more frequently than I think!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    I think I've done it three, maybe four times over 13 years.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dana we are across the bay from you at Bay Point. Currently using a single 30a cord and a splitter at the boat. All good! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....never tripped ours in 4 years.
  • Options
    FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Never had a problem using a splitter.
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    you would have to be running nearly everything on the boat at the same time to trip it.  I tripped the breaker once, running the AC, Admiral curling hair while I was cooking with the stove AND microwave while watching TV.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Just tell her boat hair is acceptable and you will be fine lol
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Now I always ask if she brought her hats!!!  B)