Changing light bulbs

minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to change the light bulb in this cabin light?

Thanking in advance

2008 280 EC

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a small retaining ring near the glass that you have to remove.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    The inner most ring, you have to pry it with something (like a screwdriver, but watch not to scratch it up).  The bulbs are typically G-4 style.  If you have not replaced with LED, you may want to consider it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn have you replaced them? If so, what did you replace it with?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited May 2016
    Yes, I've replaced them with a couple different LEDs.  Some have the 6 or 8 smd LEDs on them and some have the 24smd LEDs (smaller) on them.  I also have a few that are the warm color (in aft area over my daughter's bed - she likes to read there).  The rest I use the white lighting.  There are many styles, if you look at superbrightleds dot com (do a search for G4).  Although, I believe I bought them at dealextreme dot com.  Price was really good.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@jme097, ITC Marine makes the lights. I replaced all of mine the first year that I had the boat with the same fixture, just with LED bulbs. It cuts way down on the heat in the cabin.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Cableguy Greg I wanted to replace the whole thing but at each fixture at $27 off Amazon, thats a pretty pricey job. I think I might try the LED bulb replacement and see how it turns out. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    Yes it is. I did it a circuit at a time. The dinger was the salon lights because their were 5 lights on that one. If you break a lens, I saved all of my old lights.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing the bezel is tough.  A small screwdriver is too thick.  With anything sharper, you risk scratching the bezel and/or stabbing yourself.  

That's another good reason to start the conversion to long-life LEDs.
  • minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭

I got G4 LED light bulbs at about $2.50 each. I used a pocket knife to pry the inner ring like you said and yes, got to be mindful not to scratch the rest.  They look great.Thanks 

2008 280 EC
  • jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys! Want to change my cabin lights to LED as well. When I look for the G4 bulbs, looks like there's several lengths selling. Is there a certain size for our cabin lights? 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my cockpit light fixtures with ones from apexlighting .com.  Montauk oval lights, about a 99% drop in.  Sealed LEDs, great light.

Lensing on LED's means a lot to how they perform.  Sometimes, not always, just popping in an LED bulb is rather disappointing.  I did that with my cabin lights, poor light and the LED bulbs kept coming out of the socket.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • marooon35marooon35 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I have a 2000 270 FV .. I bought some G4 led replacement bulbs for the cockpit but  how the heck do you get the old bulbs out of the fixtures? My fingers are not strong enough to pull them out..
  • minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    you just have to pull the bulb out. 
    2008 280 EC