Options

not a good way to start

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
just got finished cleaning up the boat, oil change to boot. while I was taking out carpet to hose down deck I decided to listen to the stereo, NOT good, my boat has 5 inside speakers and 2 tower speakers run by 2 600watt sony amps. this is what I get... 2 inside cockpit 8" kicking great, no bow speakers to be heard and no sub...??? so I pull out garbage can and housing on the side of the console to see what's up, checked all wiring, tight as a drum, power into amps 12.4vish bouncing on multimeter ( cheap one) little power on speaker wires + to _ for each speaker, what should output be on dc or ac volts? messed with volume balance and fade for interior and got one of the front to fire up but still not both. no sub and it runs from other amp even though tower is off it should still work, tower has 2 from front #2 amp output and sub the rear bridged outputs. where should I be looking? all 4 fused are fine, checked and power going through. not that it matters I have a 2005 captiva 212 rx1 with the sony system

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Did you check to see if your balance and fader controls are set correctly????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Hey floater,  is the amp a true marine grade unit?  It sounds like you likely have a faulty amp, corrosion can cause a lot of problems.  Set you multimeter to AC and test for output on each channel at the amp.  If you show a fluctuating signal on the output of a channel move to the speaker and retest. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    yes they both are the sony marine amp, 1 is the original that came with the boat and #2 was an add on for tower and sub.
  • Options
    one more thing, it shouldn't matter, this winter I removed the stereo head unit and had it inside, boat stored outside with the cockpit/ bow covers and a cheap towable storage cover over that.
  • Options
    Let me know if you have output signal on the amp channels.

• Options
    I check the amps on the output side + to _ speaker and 0v, but if I use a light probe it will light up if I go from main ground to + side of speakers. now with 0v for each amp and each speaker at amp how does the 3 speakers work?
  • Options
    stereo update... my multimeter battery is dying so that's one reason I couldn't find any readings. so I took a spare speaker and touched it to the amp and sound!... went to speaker's end ..dead, took speaker there and touched wires and intermittent sound, bad wire..pulled new one..didn't work on old speaker, tried spare speaker again and some sound. turned out it was the connecting wires from speaker to wiring, so small in size 24-28ga. that it broke just after the female clips... all new everything and sound great!! another fun day working on the boat.
  • Options
    Nice job.  Glad to hear you figured it out.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that was easy to fix!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

easy fix...HARD to find! :)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....that's usually the story of most cruiser repairs! :-(