Options

Bimini/Camper Top Boots & Straps

My husband and I just purchased a complete set of Ameritex canvas for our 2006 Rinker 320.  We just bought the boat last year so we wanted to switch the canvas color from Linen to Black.  With the canvas came 2 boots; one for the bimini and one for the camper top along with some long straps.  For the life of us, we can't figure out what to do with the straps.  We know that 2 short ones go up against the windshield, but what about the other long ones with the loop on the ends and clips on the other ends.  We are definitely not seeing something.  Does anyone have any pictures of their bimini and camper tops enclosed in the boots and where the straps go?  How is the camper top kept from rattling when up and running?  Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have solid poles to hold up the bimini and camper top frame then you dont need the straps. The straps are for those that dont have the solid poles to hold the structure up. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    BKuusinenBKuusinen Member Posts: 2
    Now that makes sense!!  We do have the solid poles/bows on our boat.  Last year we folded the camper top forward and booted it toward the radar arch, but after looking at other boats, it is apparent that the camper top is meant to be booted near the stern seating; not as we were doing it. My husband is concerned with the stability and rattling of the booted camper top when we are up and running in a decent sized sea while it is booted near the stern seat.  We live on the St. Mary's River and often travel Lake Huron to Mackinac Island and up the North Channel into Canada so we get into some big open waters. Any suggestions to make it more stable?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never ran my 310 with the tops retracted and in the boots and I have not yet done it with the 342. My assumption has always been that with the tops in the boots they would both go against the arch. My boots have zippers on the outside so I believe that the boots should zipper to the arch so that everything is very secure. Again I have not tried. I have very little rattling if any, not enough to bother me. If it did bother me though I would have my wife pinpoint the location while I am driving and I would then shoot a little clear silicone in that spot to try to absorb the vibration. Have not tried, just an idea. The noise is likely where the support poles attach to the boat. My poles have adjustment notches where they attach to the boat and I could see them rattling. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 280EC, I fold the bimini to the arch and there are 2 short (6-8 inchs) straps with a twist lock on them to hold the boot to the arch.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    How do you folks fold the bimini? I've tried everything - seems the bimini doesn't clear the arch?
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Timely.  I just went through this yesterday.  So, the PO never had the boots.  I like the option to fold them up so i ordered them from TJ.  I discovered everything that you all are talking about.  So in order to get them to fold up nicely against the arch i had to install a twist lock on top of the arch for the rear cover (front doesn't have that) and new bimini pole anchors on the windshield and at the base of the arch.  I found nice ones on amazon.  So the ones on the windshield have a bevel underneath and the ones i put on the arch have a slight bend to them.  It wasn't even 80 and that sun got HOT.  So i don't know how often i am going to have everything all folded up.  I also have a new issue now when trying to put on my cockpit cover with the new locations on the windshield.  The front bimini boot zips to the arch.  However it only zips for about 18 in in both directions.  For the life of me i don't know why they didn't extend it further.  Just doesn't look right and i am likely going to change it this winter....i think i am paying for my canvas guys kids college.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!