Options

Trim tab problems

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
Last week I had my starboard trim tab fail to work. I traced the problem to a bad crimp connection at the stern near the tab. A few days ago I installed led cup holders and was in the dashboard running wires and afterwards the same trim tab wouldn't work again. I pulled the dash panels and found a few other "shoddy" crimps coming off the trim tab control box.... Fixed them and all was good. Took the boat yesterday and stayed overnight at Fire Island(tabs worked great). On the way home today, I went to used the tabs and the starboard tab doesn't work again!!! I get the boat back to my marina and decide to shut off then turn on my battery switch.... VIOLA... starboard tab starts working!!! WTH?!?! I'm thinking MAYBE a bad control box? When I turned the power off it somehow reset? Anybody have further knowledge?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    If I remember reading a few months ago, there was some kind of box in the dash area for the tabs that had to be mounted a certain way or they wouldn't work.  I'm sure someone else here will chime in about that.  Maybe that got bumped or moved enough while you were in there to make a difference?  Just a shot in the dark..

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Maybe a bad switch????????????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream- hmmm, didn't read anything about it needing to be mounted a certain way(mine is zip-tied to the harness under my dash panel!)... I will do some more searching on that though.
    Raybo- I'm almost positive that it isn't the switch because I can hear the relays clicking in the control box when I push the switch. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet the control box got confused. I added that to mine so I can see the tab position. It is just zip tied under the dash too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Ahhh I did not realize that it was clicking so now I am thinking that maybe its an intermittent solenoid valve.......  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are your tabs Lenco electric ones?  I had a case crack on one, stopped working...but the leaking voltage started corroding my drives. booo

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Well I went back to the boat tonight and met my brother and his wife for a dinner cruise... The starboard trim tab wouldn't work again(tried switching battery breaker to no avail). We went out anyway(struggled to get up on plane... My brother is fat) cruised to Fire Island again, docked for half hour, cruised another 15 minutes(periodically checking to see if it would work), then decided to anchor and watch the sunset. After dropping anchor(electric windlass) I tried the trim tabs... THEY BOTH WORKED PERFECTLY. We pulled anchor and cruised around for another 30 minutes before calling it a night... Worked great the whole time. UGHHH!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
     just did some web searching and saw this... Going to try and call them in the morning and see what they say...
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yep, that is it diggin!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Installed a new trim tab switch and controller this morning... Cost me $200 from west marine. Hooked up the automatic retract as well... Couldn't have that weighing on my mind all summer. DONE.