Options

Fuel on the rub rail...

jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
yesterday was one of the warmer days we've had here and I think I must have put a little too much fuel in when I got the boat out of storage. I noticed the grass dead near the back corner of the trailer. Some fuel had bubbled out around the cap and made an off white color below the cap and a rust color on the rub rail. Will this come off with anything? I was so mad when I saw it!!

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wash with detergent and water and then wax with a good quality wax. That should do it. Don't leave it there for the sun to beat on it. Get it off fast.
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Happened to me before ... clean it the best I could and the sun ended up taking care of the job
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If after washing it still there you could use a light compound then as MT suggest a good wax.
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Same thing happened to me last summer on my 246.  Fiberglass areas cleaned right up but the rubber/plastic on the rub rail...it didn't come off at all.  

Went thru the rest of the summer and by fall when I did a final clean for storage it had faded almost to the point where you cannot see it. 
  • Options
    This is a serious question - I'm not trying to re-start the friggin' ethanol discussion....I have had a lot of gas spills on my boats including the 310 and 360 but it never "yellowed" it just remained a clear liquid until I cleaned it. Could it be that 91 gas doesn't "yellow". Does the ethanol "have "yellowing" properties in its chemistry?
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    So did mine....
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Good question. I wish we had access to non ethanol fuel around here. I live in a small town, no marina, just a small area for docking. We're a small town on the Ohio river in WV. If we had a marina to put boats in and out for me, I think I would have splurged for one of your old boats, MT! You've had some beautiful boats!!
  • Options

Hey JB, not much you can do about the gas supply. I'd use Startron and try to keep using the ethanol. For a winter layup I'd definitely get some non ethanol to run through the engine and generator and store only non ethanol, even if I had to use gas cans LOL.

Thank you JB, re the boat comment. Every I/O  boat I have ever owned (since 1987) is still in use. Rational maintenance and good service parts have shown their value to me. The EC 310 and 360 definitely were my "babies", the final point of my knowledge in boats.....due to the knowledge gained from savvy guys on this forum and some (at times) hard won knowledge!

It's great for me to see the new breed of you younger guys on the forum to keep service and custom fabrication (like you have just shown) traditions alive. :-)