Dinghy on FV270

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I had some davits(not sure if that's what they should be called???) made to fit into the cutouts on my FV270 swimplatform. 1/4" thick stainless top plate with loop and a matching 1/4" stainless bottom plate. I used 2 stainless carabiners to attach the dinghy to the loops and away we went.... Got up on plane and ran at 30mph, didn't even know it was back there. Here's some pictures and a video: 

Comments

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay... Can't figure out how to post the video... Lol
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY cool video! Even cooler installation!
  • lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    That's okay,  like how you have made them  as I want to gets a tender for my 270 but just concerned how much room and awkward it will make moving about on the swim platform
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet- obviously you have to do something with it docking only way I could think of to do it on our 270- just never saw it. Hmmmm.
    Yes, docking stern-in would be a big problem... At our marina, the plan is to tie it off on an adjacent bulkhead then dock the boat. It's a bit of work, but much better than dragging it out deflated, blowing it up on the bow, etc... It towed with zero effort and we could even back up, set anchor, etc without any issues. 
    Here's a still-frame of the connection between dink and davits:
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Diggin where do you store your dinghy motor? What size motor do you use?  Thinking of getting an 8 ft 6 inch dinghy with a 2.5 or 3.5 hp engine. Not sure where to keep the little outboard though 
    luvinlife said:
    Diggin where do you store your dinghy motor? What size motor do you use?  Thinking of getting an 8 ft 6 inch dinghy with a 2.5 or 3.5 hp engine. Not sure where to keep the little outboard though 
    Under the aft seat in the cockpit there is actually a molded-in storage for a small outboard. I use a 3.3hp 2-stroke Merc. It gets me around(won't plane) but it fits under the seat like socks on a rooster. My dink is 9.6' Saturn with high pressure floor. http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable-boat-sd290.asp
        I drag my dinghy on for 105 miles with those "davits"... not sure I would leave the motor on it while up on plane, but may give it a whirl this year. 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much did that set you back? Think the same person wants to make another set?  Ha ha, with all these things you're doing you could set up a 270 store... wondering what other ideas you have for this boat! 
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Diggin so you store the outboard in its side?  I heard that is not good to do. Maybe it's just bad with the 4 strokes. Also, is the 3.3 self container with a built in gas tank? Do you empty the tank to store it?  Thanks for the help. My first season coming up
    edited March 2017
       Bad to store the 4-stroke on its side. Yes there's a built-in gas tank  in the motor. I shut gas valve off and close the tank/cap vent and haven't had a problem. If you look inside that storage area, its vented as well. 
    @J3ff - I'm pretty sure I spent $500 on those davits and a new anchor light w/flag rings on it. I can shot him a text and see what he would want for them. He lives in PA
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Def shoot him a text and ask if he'll make more, 500 is **** steep, just need the two davits and don't need the bottom piece.. just the top!! :) 

How did the dinghy hold up? any rust from the davits?