Options

New Slip not so good

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
We went down to the marina yesterday to look at the new slips. They were rebuilt after snow collapsed the roof. The good news is they are new and now have a 10 foot walkway vs the old 4 feet. The fingers are now 3 feet wide vs 2 feet in the past. Electric has 2 X 30 amp hookups and now also a 20 amp (not sure why). However, we have a few issues. The walkway's are concrete aggregate which you cannot walk on barefoot. Ouch. 20 of the 40 slips in our section have a wench mounted in one corner which takes up a little over 4 feet on each side. Of course, our slip is one of them. That means I won't be to able to back the swim platform flush to the dock. Calling tomorrow to try and get a different slip. But the deal breaker is the height of the dock. It will be a 2 foot drop from the dock to the swim platform. Not very user friendly and a bit unsafe......especially after a few cold ones. Maybe build a wood patio across the back with a step up? Not sure. There were only a few boats in any of the slips but we looked at a Rinker 310 that was tied up. No way to step from the rear onto the swim platform due to 2 foot gap and 2 foot drop. It was tied up tight on one side but with the bumpers out had about a 1.5 foot gap and again a 2 foot drop. Just not a good set up. The Admiral was wondering if there was any way for them to adjust this but I do not think so. A bit disappointed.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hamdog, our docks are probably 1.5 ft to the swim platform, but that's because our swim deck is a bit higher off the water. One guy has a boat, and the platform is literally draggin in the water, so I'd say 2 ft down for sure.  He built a 2 step secured off the dock. He's had it for 2 years and it still looks good, so I'd say it's robust.  If you can't back your swim deck up due to the winch, then I'd definitely consider adding on steps (at least 1) right across the beam of the boat.  It's very possible to do.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks MarkB. Going to have to do something......or move! Boat going in next weekend so will check it out and decide. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Hamdog! Jerry, I had a similar drop. I may have pictures of the step I made WITH a pole (got named the strippers' pole) ...soon copied by many others. Cost about $100 included 2 L brackets, bolts, PT step, bracket, 6 foot galvanized pole and rubber pole cap. I posted the pictures on the forum once - I'll see if I can find them.

I hope that cement dock doesn't have metal angle iron edges like they do at one marina near me as you have to be real careful backing in there!

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    which dock at lee's ford are you referring to Hamdog? we are planning on bringing our boat down there next weekend or the week after ourselves? they are talking about putting us on F dock, 2nd over from the bath house to the right from my understanding. i've not been down this season yet to see the new layout and the new docks. a friend of mine sent me some pictures from the parking lot but nothing like being there in person.

• Options
    I am on the new J Dock. All the way down toward the end. F Dock is in a different section. The new docks are the high ones......not sure if F Dock is new or not so can't really comment. G, I and J are in a straight line out from shore near the lower parking lot. The rest are accessible from the upper parking lot.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    My slip has a big bonus of having a fairly large seating/partying area due to an electrical box.  Down side to this is my finger pier is shorter than most.  Thus I can only get on and off the boat by using the swim ladder.  At a very low tide this is next to impossible to get off.  Slip neighbor built this and I plan on doing something similar.   

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    My steps 2x6 on bottom of dock and on top hold the steps on dock is all concrete did not want to drill holes
    2002 Rinker FV 342