Options

Chain for Windlass-320

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I own a 2005 320. I have an Horizon 600/900 windlass. I want to convert to all chain. I cannot find what size and type of chain to buy. I assume it is 1/4 inch but do I need G4 or BBB? Just want to verify. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many thicknesses of chain, size of chain link and shape of chain link. G4  or as it is sometimes called grade 40 or HT is a higher strength chain that is supposed to have two or more times the working load of BBB. Do you need that, I don't know? 

BBB used to be the most popular and universal chain and it works well with almost all gypsies but some consider it old technology and not having enough working power in higher stress situations. Will you be out in those conditions. If not BBB might be all you need.

I'm not sure what Rinker sends out on their boats from the factory.

IMO the biggest factor to determine your chain, once you have an idea of the strength of chain you want is to make sure your windlass gypsy will mate with it. Yours (2005 model) will probably handle several sizes of rode and chain.

If you know your model and can read its data and amperage or can "google" it you should see the suggested chain applications for your model.

Without seeing your windlass I would guess 1/4"or 5/16" chain.

When buying chain purchasing a new shackle is a good idea. If doing so it is recommended that you buy one size up. For example a 1/4" chain should have a 5/16" shackle.

I prefer the pricier SS swivel types. No one wants to lose an anchor because of a crap*y shackle and I have seen very expensive SS anchors attached to the chain with low quality shackles.

• Options
    Thank you very much MT and Al. I pulled the manual out and it does not state the chain size. I am thinking BBB is more than adequate. I also have a new shackle on the list as well. I always anchor in protected coves and bays. Never an issue and always stay close to home for overnight anchoring. I think I will bring the old chain and rode with me to make sure. Better safe than sorry since it is expensive.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....and there it is!
  • Options
    I just came from the boat. I have the braided rode so I assume I probably have the 5/16. My chain is larger than 1/4. Thank you Al and MT.