Options

2003 Rinker Fiesta Vee 270- replacement search spot light

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
One more thing to add for you guys. I needed to purchased a new jabsco search light for my boat because it no longer worked and the capacitors and resisters inside the motor were shot so replacement parts weren't really worth it. A new one was in the ball park of $600 to $800 dollars.  So I searched around to see what other replacement units were out there that would do the job since I only use it occasionally at late nights. Well I found a Jabasco ABS unit that was 100,000 candle power and came with controller for about $175. Had good reviews so I ordered it. Once I got it I saw that new controller was different shape and size then my old one mounted in the dash. Was bummed as now I would have to make a custom plate for the dash so there wouldn't be a hole . I decided to trace all the wires from the old light and old controller . Once I did that I was able to utilize the original controller in place and rewire it at the light end to the new light so the old controller now controls the new light. A few colors had to be swapped but wasnt too bad. Now it looks original!

Anyone looking to do this let me know and I can send you exact specifics. But well worth it and light works like factory with 2 speeds still and 360 degree operation. Happy Boating!

Answers

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I did the same thing on my boat this spring.
    original light was removed but controls in the dash still present.
    i went and purchased a oem chrome light from a used dealer but side to side motor was shut.
    i then went on eBay and purchased a plastic flood light Made by jabsco. 
    Only wire I didn't need to wire was the low beam . This light has a single filament bulb vs. original that had high and low.

• Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    That's interesting as I was having issues with my light.  Was appalled at the price of replacement and also concerned about the controller as I thought that was broken too.  Searched on line for controller and it was about £200.  Complete line was anything from £450.  In the end to try and save money we took the light apart, and re-soldered the wiring to the motors and hey presto it worked again except for rotating left.  So took the controller apart sprayed some WD40 and wiggled some wires and it worked again.  I was chuffed to bits saved myself a fortune.  I bet if I had got a electrician to do it they would have just ordered a new light.  Well worth trying to fix it yourself.
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    I did the same thing on my boat this spring.
    original light was removed but controls in the dash still present.
    i went and purchased a oem chrome light from a used dealer but side to side motor was shut.
    i then went on eBay and purchased a plastic flood light Made by jabsco. 
    Only wire I didn't need to wire was the low beam . This light has a single filament bulb vs. original that had high and low.

Yup exactly. New light had low beams but when controller was on "f" it wouldnt trigger the beam so had to trace that wire and connect to low beam as well.  Seems to be great now.

lionelz said:
    That's interesting as I was having issues with my light.  Was appalled at the price of replacement and also concerned about the controller as I thought that was broken too.  Searched on line for controller and it was about £200.  Complete line was anything from £450.  In the end to try and save money we took the light apart, and re-soldered the wiring to the motors and hey presto it worked again except for rotating left.  So took the controller apart sprayed some WD40 and wiggled some wires and it worked again.  I was chuffed to bits saved myself a fortune.  I bet if I had got a electrician to do it they would have just ordered a new light.  Well worth trying to fix it yourself.

ya pulled mine apart and saw a corroded mess and parts laying in the bottom. I saw those little wires soldered to the motor and thought about soldering them as well and then just said forget it , light housing looked old too so might as well just a get a new unit . I got my old parts if you need any.

• Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    hahaha maybe a little lie by me when I say "I" I mean a mate of mine who has a lot more patients than me Either way he saved me a fortune,  All that was asked in return was a day out on the boat, well easy choice as I was going out anyway.