Options

Ignition problem

ive developed a strange intermittent ignition fault. Occasionally when I put the key in the ignition and turn it on all I get is 2 beeps as normal but then when I turn the key all the way to the start position it won't turn over at all. I have to turn it back to the off position and try again. It normally then fires straight up. It doesn't do this all the time but it is definitely becoming more frequent and sometimes it takes 5 or 6 attempts before it turns over, other times I can go the whole weekend without fault! Anyone got any clues as to what this could be? Boat is 242 fiesta vee with 5.7efi bravo 3.

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I would check the connections behind the key... Mine became corroded and was acting the same way. They are just spade connectors. 
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Thanks diggin2day1 that's what I thought it may be but before pulling the switch panel out I thought I'd get some advice on here! I'll certainly check the ignition connections when I'm next down there!!!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    It's only 4 screws(on my 270)... I cut off the old spade connectors and crimped new ones on. Cleaned up the "male" side of it too... I didn't want any problems from it. Been perfect ever since. 
  • Options
    I'll definitely swap those over this weekend then and see how that goes!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's most likely your slave solenoid atop the engine... swap it out from your trim solenoid and see if that doesn't remedy it... they fail far too often, and generally how you describe- won't work one in ten tries, then one in seven, then one in... then they just don't work at all one day.  $15 fix... get a new one. 
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    mine did that too. just got a new solenoid from NAPA (sierra brand) $27 in hand, swapped it out and checked the bad one, opened it up and there it was, the contacts were done, 1 looked to be ok, burnt but ok, but the other was so burned you couldn't tell it was copper...burnt to a crisp, even a sanding didn't bring the copper color back out, like a torch was on it forever. quick, easy fix. thanks for you comments on everything makes troubleshooting easier..
  • Options
    Think I'll be getting a new solenoid then! Thanks for the advice!!!