Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plastic Sleeve on Bimini Poles

rmrstlmormrstlmo Posts: 126Member ✭✭✭
These are pictures from my 2000 340 FV.  Two of the bimini poles have a thick (.100") plastic sleeve around one section of the poles.  They look like they've been there since it was new.  They look pretty heavy duty to just be some kind of shipping material.  Does anyone know why they would be there?  I'd like to remove them but I'm not sure of the condition of the metal.  It looks very dirty and corroded.

Ray

2000 340 FV

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 4,254Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell where exactly they are at, but might it be there to be a barrier between the bimini material and the metal?
  • shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIPosts: 1,052Member ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they are corroded from water getting trapped between the metal and sleeve over the years. Might be able to sand it down a bit
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 4,552Member, Moderator mod
    I can't imagine why they are there.  Definitely should remove and see if you can clean them up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 3,705Moderator mod
    They are there to help keep the glass of the poles so the poles dont burn the glass. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 4,254Member ✭✭✭✭
    10-4 Raybo- the fellow that re did my top said if your going to leave your covers up to do something like that to keep them apart as the metal does get very hot...I'd leave them on or replace them with something that looks better...
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 1,991Member ✭✭✭✭
    I use these, there made to keep the Windows off of the hot metal. Just make sure you order the correct size.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--window-savers--P018_543_004_505

Looks like in the picture he has window savers on it already.  May just need another one or two.

Dream_Inn said:
    Looks like in the picture he has window savers on it already.  May just need another one or two.
    I didn't notice that, but it's riveted on and facing the wrong way??
    Actually I think it's a bumper for when it's folded up.
    Aero, you are correct.  I didn't pay much attention to how it was on there.  On my previous boats, I used the window savers and they were ok.  They did tend to leave marks on the glass a bit and you needed extra or the glass would just stretch and still touch metal.  The best thing is to just get a bigger boat with a hardtop. :)

Dream_Inn said:
    Aero, you are correct.  I didn't pay much attention to how it was on there.  On my previous boats, I used the window savers and they were ok.  They did tend to leave marks on the glass a bit and you needed extra or the glass would just stretch and still touch metal.  The best thing is to just get a bigger boat with a hardtop. :)
    I agree!!!!
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Palmetto, FLPosts: 744Member ✭✭✭
    A simple solution that works for me is to use velcro straps wrapped around the bimini poles at strategic points.  They keep the glass away from the poles very effectively.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
    I dont agree its a bumper. IMO if it were then the poles would not get close enough to fold properly. IMO the PO did not know what they were and stuck a rivet into it. Those are made for the glass.............. 
  • MarkBMarkB OntarioPosts: 3,051Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those are plastic, why not just get some chrome paint and spray them over?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Posts: 6,384Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....or go to as hardware store and get a couple of those plastic covers that go over shower rails (I have seen them in silver btw) and replace them.....maybe that's what the p.o. used in the first place?
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Posts: 126Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments.  Yes, some of the window savers are not on correctly. That hasn't been an issue.

I'm thinking I'll remove the plastic sleeves and see how clean I can get the metal poles.  If anyone still has any more ideas I'm open to suggestions. 

Ray

2000 340 FV

One suggestion for cleaning.  Use Flitz polish.  IMO, it is the best metal polish cleaner out there!

• JC290JC290 Bolles Harbor MichPosts: 706Member ✭✭✭
    As dream said Flitz polish
    I've been using mothers but I'll get some Flitz.  I'll need a full assault on that corrosion!  Thanks for the tip.

Ray

2000 340 FV

Flitz is excellent and Never Dull is very good also..... 

I removed the plastic sleeves from the bimini poles yesterday and polished them.  You can see from the before and after pics that they cleaned up very nicely.  My best guess it that the plastic sleeves were some kind of shipping material that was on there since the boat was new.

Ray

2000 340 FV

Very nice work. What a relief that they look OEM!
    Very nice!

• MarkBMarkB OntarioPosts: 3,051Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Ontario,CanadaPosts: 730Member ✭✭✭
    Looks WAY better
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Channahon, ILPosts: 208Member ✭✭✭
    Looks brand new! I made some pole "covers" for my boat - got some blue felt type material, sewed velcro on the sides and now they wrap the pole the entire length where the pole can contact the window. 
    @frodo13056, great modification. That's going to get copied!
    Thanks for the help and comments.  No knowing what I would find when I removed them....   Yes, it was huge relief when I got the first one off and it cleaned up so nicely.

Ray

2000 340 FV

I just bought the felt pole covers from a canvas shop. Perfect match with the color.
    @rmrstlmo, awesome job! What a relief, I bet!