Options

Towing insurance?

Any of you guys bother with that? I see C-Tow offers a plan for 100$ seems like might not be a bad idea? I can imagine if you had to call for a tow might be 500$ if had to go too far.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I've used BoatUS for the last 16 years.  Unfortunately I've had to actually use their service twice.  Those two times has paid for itself having it for 16 years.  Yes, towing is really expensive.  Well worth the insurance.  Now, your regular boat insurance probably has you covered as well (mine does, but I have the other anyways)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Yes, by all means, purchase towing coverage.  It is inexpensive insurance.  These guys are good and will go out quite a ways to bring you in.  I used mine only once so far, to tow our boat from one marina to another in the same harbor where we could be hauled out and trucked back to home port.  That tow would have cost many many $, likely the total amount I paid for the coverage since I have had the boat.  Cheap peace of mind.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your insurance. Mine already includes up to $5000 in towing.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine did too....and for what I paid it should have included girls in bikinis serving Champagne!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat US for me too. Very reasonable pricing with the membership. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unless you've got a lot of boating friends (with their own boat- yours doesn't count) in the area you're boating, it's only logical to have it... A guy I know plowed his sailboat into soft mud at high tide, stranding it, and had to have it pulled out... He only had the boat a few weeks, and paid a really great price of $30k for it (duress sell, boat booked north of $75k), and he paid $8k to have it pulled off that pad of mud he got caught on... he must have been moving when he hit it..  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    My boat policy covers towing, but only the first $500.  A tow can easily get waaay over $500.

Example: I once called a tow boat to jump-start dead batteries.  No biggie, right?  Well, when he arrived, my outdrives were trimmed down far enough to be touching the muddy river bottom.  That meant my boat was technically "aground" which made the price jump from $500 to $1100.  

And that's without even towing the boat.
  • Options
    I got a boat stuck on a rock jetty in a storm because the gas motor crapped out and it put a hole in the side. The tow guy claimed salvage rights. 6500$
  • Options
    .....and that's what you have a gun on board for...remember our past thread on water pirates?
  • Options
    MT you are just too silly tonight
  • Options
    edited June 2016

It's worth it if it gives you a laugh Steve!

BTW I thought you had to "abandon ship" for a tow operator or anyone to claim "salvage rights".

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I think for 100$ its worth to have it, even if my ins. covers it. I cant think ins. would cover gas, boosts, etc 
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I know a person that did that
    drank all day
    got dark
    ran in circles
    ran out of gas
    got towed In
    lol
  • Options
    In a serious note 
    I don't bother with to win insurance that is offered thru the boat policies.
    in most cases you have to pay out of pocket and then they cut you a check at a later date when all paperwork is done.
    i use tow boat us and that's the easiest and for 75 cheaper then tow service offered thru my ins company.
    i had progressive before and tow boat us was out of pocket but salvage place down the river worked with them direct. So you might get lucky if a tow service supports direct payments from your ins co.
    in most cases it's out of pocket and ins co changers more a year for it.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I live we are a freindly bunch, if you break down, someone well pull you in, I've pulled many, for free
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Oh for sure lsc is good for that.
    lots of boat on the us side. We have the small side of the lake. Canada owns the largest portion lol.
    on some days or if ventured out into Huron or Erie you won't see boats for hours.
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I finally got boat us because the first year I had the boat it spent more time being pulled than running.   Now that I have the insurance the boat runs great