Options

FV270 better cooler?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I currently have this 25qt Igloo marine cooler(junk) for my FV270:

Has as anyone found a better cooler that fits this location? I saw a 30qt marine cooler that has the same basic dimensions, just a bit taller... Not sure if it will fit though. Here's a pic: 

There HAS to be a better option than the 25qt "ice eater" that I currently own!!! 

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    digin I use mine for storage, coffie pot, coffie, bottle water, ect.we use one one on wheels it rolls through back door ok, its a Igloo
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that little cooler.I think you would have to modify the space to fit anything else.we know there is tons of space behind it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    the taller 30 quart wont fit. The enclosure has these knobs" that fit in between the groove on the handle. the 30 quart doesnt have that slot in the middle of the handle. I have seen some people pull it and mount a fridge there. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would unscrew and remove the plastic surround. You'll be surprised at how much space is behind it. Once removed you should be able to fit a decent size cooler. Then finish off the area with some trim moulding.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Agreed those igloos are garbage. I don't know if it will fit but get a Yeti. They are awesome and will hold ice for days. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put a mobicool cooler into my 260EC. It runs off 12V and actually cools the contents WITHOUT ice. It's great to cool beverages, providing much needed space for perishables in the cabin fridge, particularly for overnight trips.

This is the model I have. Fits as much as my previous cooler. I installed a 12V plug in under the wet bar so it works in the stowed position.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Check out the link. I pulled the cooler insert and order a custom door for that spot. My opening was 20 3/4 x 20 3/4. I got the locking option and can fit far more than that sad cooler. $230 but worth every cent with the ease of access to the extra storage. 

https://www.boatoutfitters.com
    Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, that cooler blows..i don't put it in the boat anymore! I have been throwing extra bumpers in there...
  • Options
    I already have a huge access door for all that storage space underneath: 

MarkB- I like the idea of that 12vdc powered cooler, but I also have some concerns about it... Power consumption!! We like to anchor out a lot. We go to Block Island and stay at anchor for 4-5 days too, think that cooler in addition to my fridge would be devastating to my batteries. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd imagine it would draw some good amps. It's really if you're on the hook. Although nothing stops you from putting ice in the cooler. It's fully waterproofed and lined. So in the event you don't want to use 12V you can use it as a normal cooler.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Great idea putting that door in diggin. Do you have a genny?  Obviously less of an issue if that's the case. I had a 12v cooler like that but it was a cheapie and did not hold its coolness well. It was running all the time. I suspect if you find a high quality well insulated one the draw would be less of a concern.
    We are on block all of the time. I'll keep an eye out for you and say hi if we see you. What's the name of your boat?  We will be there for Father's Day weekend so long as the weather cooperates. 

Blue 360, named R Beach. 
  • Options
    Craig- The previous owner actually installed that door... And I'm glad he did!!! No generator, but when I go to Block I bring my Honda 2000. We'll be there in the 2nd week of August this year... Six Twelve Too is the name of my boat, I'll have a cold one ready for you!
  • Options
    Sounds good. We had the eu2000 when we had our 270. Worked great. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey I'll be at block island too the 2nd week august.I have always though about what could be done with space that cooler takes up.same with one behind the seat,it should be a tackle box kinda thing?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I'm gonna need that bigger cooler for all the "cold ones" I need to shell out now!!! Lol
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    diggin,

Do you have a detailed list of parts needed for that cubby you built to put the cooler in?  I have been wanting to do the same thing!  Was it pretty easy to do?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Navy- I never built a cubby... Previous owner put that door in to access all the storage under the cockpit sink.... 
  • Options
    nerg54nerg54 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I got a 280 ec and am putting this in instead of cooler I made a rack to hold bottles from shifting in transit it is a bit pricy $500 but how cool is it
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as a fellow drunk, I think that is awesome! If I had that, I would never go home!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I looked at getting one of those @nerg54. really wanted it but couldn't justify it. Would be a sweet addition though!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Nerg54- I've seen that before.... Awesome!! I do have a question though... It obviously dispenses each individual liquor, but does the dispenser completely drain after each pour? There has to be some residual liquor in the spout before pouring the next drink. What I'm trying to say is, is my Ketel One going to taste like my Jack Daniels?!?! After a few, I really won't care, but I am interested in knowing. Lol
  • Options
    smvorca350zsmvorca350z Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Awesome dispenser!
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 In the spout, you have 5 different supply hoses that goes into each bottle. They don't share the same hose. I want one so bad lol
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @jme097 is saying that the faucet itself has 5 different lines to prevent mixing (I think).
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 you sir are correct lol. I looked into buying one of those.
  • Options
    That clears it up!!! Thank you