Options

Jinked myself, Generator failed

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
Well after bragging  about how well my generator ran the **** the quit while running.  It will not restart, cranks without any ignition.  Can someone point me to a service manual or a where to start?  I use this thing non stop when we are away from anchor. 
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Service manuals are posted in the generator forum. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks, I found the manuals. 

• Options
    I have now discovered that when switching the breaker from shore to generator it trips the dock breakers.  What's the chance that my failed generator and this breaker tripping are related?  Any idea where to start?

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never leave my shore power plugged in when making a switch-over like that. I'm not sure I had to disconnect them but I always did fearing some sort of power surge. Is there a fuse in the generator that may have been blown if you have already checked all of the breakers in the panel and the two big main breakers?

• Options
    Did you shut the shore power breaker first, then change over to the generator?

Starting simple: the fuel valve is open, right?

Did you check for spark at the plugs?  There is a fuel filter at the fuel pump too, I got rid of it and just use the inline one. If I remember right, 1/4"npt threaded barbed fitting. Check the pigtail connection for the fuel pump too, I had that go bad on mine. Hard spliced it now. 

You can easily pull the anti-diesel valve out too, if it is gummed up and sticks closed it stops the fuel flow. It is on the carb, just one wire goes to it. It is a needle solenoid. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD, working on this today.  I will update with my latest findings. 

• Options
    Well this thing is a pita to work on.  I'm a fairly small guy, I feel like I can barely reach it.  Does the full cover and black end cover with coolant over flow tank need to come off to remove solenoid?  

• Options
    Nope. You can get to it just taking off the service panel. The anti-diesel solenoid comes straight out towards you from the carb. It only has (1) wire attached to it. The plunger should freely move, just use carb cleaning spray on it. Same for the hole where it goes. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I had to remove the end cover as i couldn't get to it with a wrench from any other angle.. not a big deal.  

• Options
    UPDATE:  So i was able to fix the generator, I found 2 problems with mine.  The anti dieseling solenoid in mine was very sluggish and slow as compared to mine after massaging the kinks out of it via jiggling, wiggling & tapping the *%&$ out of it.  Now it pops in and out really fast.    I also found the spark plugs looked lean which sent me looking at the fuel filter and voila there lied the problem.  At first attempt to blow through it it was restricted.   A decent little puff and it broke free and blows through like it was brand new.  Tried to replace it but no one in towns stocks one??  So surprised, not even west marine.  Anyhow, ordered a  new one and put the old one back in which blows like it is brand new anyhow.   Fired Genny up and runs smoother then it ever has.  I am assuming the roughness and lite smoke on startup before may have been due to a sticking ADS solenoid?  Either way, she purrs like a happy kitten.   She also got a fresh oil change and filter.  I have plugs but couldn't find my gap tool so they got pushed back.   THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP!!!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to teach that old guy called Dream_Inn now. LOL
  • Options
    Sweet!  That anti-diesel valve can be sneaky. 

Double check that fuel filter at the fuel pump inlet too. I just rely on the little in-line raycor filter. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I did not see one on mine, i wonder if it has been previously removed?

• Options
    Possible!  It is just a screwed in brass type that has the rubber line attached. Not readily available at most places. Between that and a total pita to get at, mines long gone. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI