Options

Lower unit gear oil drain screw not budging

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
I suppose theres a few who would suggest an impact driver, which i will try tomorrow but i have a screw that is pretty much out of slot.  PO probably should've replaced with a new one on the last service.  Question is, whats next after i try the impact driver with no success. ... Im scared of what might be next,lol.  

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use a Dremel to cut the slot deeper. Before you use the impact driver use the biggest screwdriver that can fit with a hex by the handle for a wrench. Put a wrench on the screwdriver for better leverage and hope for the best. Use heat also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Id like to not use heat either.   I just spent a lifetime repainting.   I had to walk away, was getting overwhelmed so i sprayed one last time with penetrating oil and im gonna buy an impact driver and see what happens tomorrow.  I need prayers, lol. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is the lower drain screw, you can drill it and use an easy out bit. Patient drilling (and use drill/tapping oil) plus the oil flowing out will flush anything out. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....just be very careful to not cross thread those threads!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

I had this happen to me a few years back and tried everything.  Finally, I bought the little impact screwdriver (for under $10) at harbor freight.  You use it with a hammer, really works well.  I've had to use it on two other boaters drives as well with great luck.  It does work!  Just do some light taps on it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Had to get my impact out this spring myself 
    port side drain was put on by some ape I think.
    i don't use cheap drivers or undersized flat heads at that to cause a strip.

after first fail I switched to a long screw driver that always did the trick for me

then switched to my impact and second hit did the trick.
    replaced drain plugs and all seals after that.
    if plug is all chewed up and stripped then make a new slot in it like mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Well here is what happened, Ibought the impact, whacked it a few times with no luck.   The cheap impact I bought wasnt working properly after the fourth or fifth blow...and the bit was twisting.   Back over to the auto shop n bought the better one.  No luck, used heat on my new paint job, still nothing and the bit was twisting.  I hit it harder than i was compfortable with.  
    So... I started to drill.  First a tiny bit(i have good quality bits)that fit into the slot.....boom, right through and SNAP!  Second bit, right through and.....SNAP! Lol. Now this is the moment I realized i should use the clutch on my nice cordless drill. Three more sizes up with no problem and the oil is flinging everywhere.  I was surprisingly almost center with the hole, a bit to one side but no issue.  I took a nail punch and tapped the slot to one side and it freed up and i could screw it the rest of the way out.  

Now the fun part!    Two busted bits and maybe some shavings.  After the oil completely drained I used a tiny magnet i have that fits in the hole perfectly.  ...nothing but a few shavings. 
    So, i put the new plug in and with a squirt bottle I squeezed 16 oz of diesel fuel in the top hole, lifted the drive up n down and presto! Two bits, a few shavings and what i thought was a needle bearing.
     After having a blonde moment I realized it was the magnet from the plug I drilled out, whew!   Im glad it didnt attach itself to anything in the shaft housing!  After i drained and repeated the diesel fuel flush with the magnet, just came up with very minute shavings. Attached my blow gun to the top hole and aired out a little while lifting n lowering unit.  Put about 10 oz of gear oil in the top hole to flush out anything else, drained then filled unit with 2 new plugs. 

What an adventure, my neighbors learned new curse words this weekend,lol 
    Post edited by Trashman on
  • Options
    Btw.  Thanks for all the advise.  I wouldn't have the guts to drill if it weren't for your experience and input.  Ill post some pics soon.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! You got lucky, good job!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Nice work and really nice extra effort on making sure all the filings and other debris was removed. Well worth the effort in the long run, but not everyone would have done it.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Good job!  Sorry to hear the cheap impact didn't work (I know I had to check a few times to make sure that when I hit it, it turned the correct way-hopefully that was not the problem).  Glad to hear you got it off and got everything back to normal!  Time to go boating!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Trashman - TOTALLY AWESOME -  You're now a member of the "I took a drill to my drive housing club". Welcome aboard! In fact you're now the President as you took it one step higher and did the extra flushes. LOL
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    poor neighbors lol
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mineral spirits is even better to flush with. Any residual inside can mix with the oil and have no adverse effects. Very common to use this to flush out industrial speed reducers. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Trashman, once when working on a vehicle the elderly gentleman who lived next door to my parents (a good guy) said, Michael you have now used that word as a verb, adjective, noun, adverb and several other parts of speech - all in a single sentence, congratulations!" He was a retired English teacher. I got the part off. It was a seized boat trailer drum - without any further cursing LOL
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Great job Trashman. If you ever have to drill out the plug again try using a left handed drill bit. Most times it will back the stuck plug or bolt right out.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com