Options

Water in my hull near AC unit in aft cabin

gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
I have water in hull that seems to be too low to make the bilge pump work. Right by AC unit in floor. I vacuumed it out and dried it and doesn't seem to be any problem but is this normal? First picture is vacuumed and dry after.

Comments

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Have you been running the ac?
    the condensation drain was clogged on mine and dumped water in the bilge.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@gtyee, is that water up in the bow or back at the stern? I can't remember there ever being water in the bow of the boat under the front berth area? Is a drain hose loose?

I have often vacuumed water out of the stern of the EC 310 and 360 that the bilge pumps couldn't get from rain or backwash or just draining from cup holders etc. I have been told lots of times that was just obsessive on my part but I had a small shop vac so I did it.

But I can't remember there ever being standing water in the bow.

• Options

The water is by the bow under the rear berth( under helm) but it seems the water would need to rise to set off the bilge pump. Stern had a little water that I vacuumed up. 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess that the bilge pump should be in the lower portion of that bilge. 

That water looks murky like it's been sitting a while. It's not normal to keep taking on water like that. It should stay dry. Try and find out where it's coming from.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@gtyee you mean it is in the bow in a compartment accessed by the front berth....that is - when you lift up the mattress of the front berth and the access cover for the AC? Sorry to be so picky but I'm trying to place the location exactly in my mind in order to be of some help!

I agree with Mark if the water is up under the front berth: 1. It shouldn't be accumulating there so 2. something is leaking and it can't drain to the back bilge area or 3. if there are some leaks there normally, then the bilge pump is definitely not doing its job and is misplaced.

Question for me is WHAT could be leaking into that area?

Here's what comes to mind: 1. either fresh water supply hose from the HVAC pump to the HVAC unit is leaking there should be double clamps top and bottom (loose clamps/damaged hose) 2. the spent water hose from the HVAC to the overboard through hull fitting is leaking there should be two ring clamps on this through hull fitting and there often aren't again or (loose fitting/damaged hose) 3. plugged AC drain pan hose fitting or hose not draining fast enough during heavy (normal) use and the water is sloshing over the pan edge. 4. water is entering the hull via a loose fitting to the through hull fitting and water is getting into the boat. 5. Does the anchor locker drain overboard on the EC 310 or is a hose just loose in the bilge?

I'd exhaust looking for loose hose fittings, poor drainage and probably end-up moving the bilge down.

FOR SURE I'd call Rinker and tell them its a 2013 Rinker EC 310....the model that won a bunch of awards. Out of respect for their boat and your purchase.... give you some suggestions. Geez! I wish I lived closer!

BTW make sure some friggin spider hasn't built some Fort Knox in the drain vent!

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Tex68Tex68 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I realize this is an old topic but I never saw any other replies after @Michael T I can answer that the area in the picture is actually stern not bow and it's under the access panel in the midberth area the panel closest to the engine room bulkhead. I discovered the same issue after an outing last weekend up in the Puget Sound area when it was quite cold. Ran the heater for the first time (worked great!). Had water in multiple locations in the cabin. Just about as much as @gtyee posted in his picture. The other area that was very damp was in the forward berth on the starboard side which ran all along the edge where the mattress is flush with the area between the actual starboard bulkhead and the mattress itself. I will be checking for clogged lines as that seems like it could be the problem. @redlightning where exactly is the condensation drain? I've only experienced this water since I've run the heater so I want to check this first.
  • Options

My water was from ac hose that had no clamps on it. Double clamped it and dry as a bone since

• Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    I get water in mine when we have a heavy rain.   Other then that it is always dry.  I can't find the leak.