Options

Insulating under seat compartment

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
I have a 2003 270 Fiesta Vee and commonly use the compartment under the port side aft seat cushion as a cooler for drinks.  The problem is that the compartment is not insulated and the heat from the engine warms the drinks in a hurry.  I am considering adding insulation to the outside of the compartment (which faces the engine/bilge area).  Has anyone done anything similar?  Can anyone offer tips on what type of sheet insulation to use.  Styrofoam is a consideration but I have concerns about its mechanical/thermal integrity.  

Thanks,
MDBoater

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

I have seen many boat owners insulate all variety of available spaces and have helped a number of them. Done right they are an amazing addition.

IMO here's the done right part. have a drain to the bilge or "T'd" into an overboard drain. If it reduces the space in the engine compartment make sure it won't prevent maintenance requirements.

Separate line for the big one: any glues and insulation (foams) must be fire retardant to USCG specifications or you risk fines (not so bad) or charges and insurance fail in case of a fire (that's a big one)

Doable - yes it is...my respectfully offered advice, do it right and you'll be laughing!

BTW the next job I was going to do on the 2013 Rinker EC 310 that I once owned was to insulate the compartment in the refreshment counter as it was right above a fridge and got warm too fast.

My brother in law is a district fire captain and was going to get me a product sheet but I traded the boat. I bet you could get that info from any local fire hall, the USCG or your insurance company.

FWIW I like your idea!

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you'll build in a plug to drain any condensate, water from melted ice, or water that intrudes the compartment?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact I wouldn't ever plug it, wouldn't want the boat filling up with rain water and sinking.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael T said:

Separate line for the big one: any glues and insulation (foams) must be fire retardant to USCG specifications or you risk fines (not so bad) or charges and insurance fail in case of a fire (that's a big one)

As usual, very helpful comments!  Thank you for your reply!  After some research, the choice of insulation material is indeed a challenge.  Styrofoam (unless possibly encased) would not be appropriate.  The material would have to be closed cell or it would likely get wet internally from condensation.  Foam PVC would be good as a fire retardant but it softens around 150 F.  Neoprene and foam melamine are possibilities.  I'm still researching.
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    I assume you'll build in a plug to drain any condensate, water from melted ice, or water that intrudes the compartment?
    The compartment already has a hole to allow water to drain into the bilge.  I would add a nipple and hose to direct the water overboard or into the bilge.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MDboater, I'm sure you can resolve this and it would be a huge service to the forum as a lot of owners could benefit from your experience. There are often excellent places on the boats to create a very appropriate placed cooler!