Options

Engine Sluggish - Any Solutions??

ryanj013ryanj013 Member Posts: 12
I have a 2000 Rinker 310 Fiesta Vee with twin 5.0's. I have recently had about $20k worth of work done on it including new drives, new carb, bottom paint, gauges, batteries, etc.. However, I am having a constant issue where if I throttle up to about 1/3 and stay there for about 5 minutes and then try to power up past that I get absolutely NOTHING. No added power even going to full throttle. 

I have to bring both throttles down to Neutral and then repower back up. If I do that I get full power. I can easily get up to 35+mph but it needs to be right when I launch or after bringing it back to neutral.

Does anyone have any ideas what that could be? 

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Throttle cables hanging up?  Doesn't sound like fuel or ignition.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Throttle cables would be my first guess as well.  If they have never been changed, you are well over due.  I used to own a 2002 310.  Throttle cables was the last thing I changed out right before I sold it in 2012.  My wife said she could finally drive it (throttle was much easier to move) & then we sell it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I would have thought that if it were the cables hanging up then the shifter would be hard to move. Maybe a linkage problem at the carb?????........... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Wow great thought on the throttle cables! Is there a way to test that or is that just something that a mechanic needs to look at and repair/replace?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can have some one move the throttle while you look at the linkage and carb. Maybe you can see when it hangs up. Also you can spray the linkage with carb cleaner to see if that helps.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Well let's look at the basics 
    yes if you have two people put control in throttle only mode, remove the top covers and fire Arrestors.
    when moving the throttles do your butterfly's open all the way? If not try the neutral back to full throttle and see if they do? That would leave me to believe your cables are stretched.
    if they do open all the way it could be your accelerator pumps not working properly or carbs being out of adjustment.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your help. I had my local marina mechanic make some necessary tweaks to things and it runs like a champ now!