Options

Upgrade My Chartplotter

BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I am looking to upgrade my chartplotter and want to have some recommendation by my Rinker friends. I'm looking at a few different models. The SIMRAD GO7 XSE, Lowrance Elite 7TI, and the Garmin echoMAP 74dv 7inch.  You have beter suggestion please let me know.  
Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are your criteria? Certain size to fit a specific helm area or are you open to a Ram mount? Certain price range? Definite must have feature(s)?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Not interested in radar, or is that outside the budget?
  • Options
    Micheal and LaRea, trying to stay around the $700 range and and based off the area for flush mount this is as large as I can g. As for radar I love to have one but how do I convince the Admiral to let me spend the $2500 for one.  I was looking at the 4G radar system.  What do you think of this system. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that 74dv is very "upgrade friendly"... No NMEA2000 connectivity, don't think you can add radar to it... The 741xs is the same size, about the same price if you get it on sale and has WAY more features... 
  • Options
    The 4Gs are around 2K the Raymarine HD Color is around 1.6K There are Garmin 721s and 741s that are often on sale at Defender Marine and West Marine....even on Amazon that interface with smart phones and apps to give you second set capability.
  • Options
    The "sell" for radar is that it's a safety tool.  If you ever have to drive at night or in poor visibility, radar makes it much safer because you can see buoys and other boats.  You can also see and track rain storms before they get close to you.

Tell the Admiral she'll be able to stay out and watch the entire sunset because you know you can get home safely after dark.
  • Options

Raymarine makes a digital radar that is about $500 than their newer HD Color but the color gives more than 250 extra shades and this IMO is a very good up-grade for the money. It's fun on a nice day but necessary on a bad day.

FWIW- You may notice - I call them Captain Show Offs - who enter marinas with their big 4 foot radar arrays turning and on. NO!!!!!!! Very unhealthy for everyone around.....and I have walked up to a few of them ant told them to turn them off......but if your daughter has an annoying boyfriend and you want to sterilize him - just in case he gets any ideas with your little girl - have him go up front as a "valued spotted" (keep your daughter with you in the cockpit) - and put the radar on full tilt, no more worries LOL 

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    MT, which model is that?  I may be replacing my plotter/radar and really don't know where to start.  I was thinking about going with a garmin, as they are generally more user friendly.  However, raymarine has a LOT of different levels/options to choose from.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Hey @summerx and @Bayrunner, there are at least 5 really good manufacturers of electronic equipment out there with packages at all price points. I only feel comfortable talking about Garmin and Raymarine as they are the two I have had direct experience with:

Garmin: I ordered my 2013 Rinker EC 310 without a GPS/CP and the dealer installed the Garmin 721 that I provided. I paid around $1K for it but have seen it on sale for a lot less the last year or so. The Admiral used it the most and she really liked it. I ordered a Navionics Platinum chip and it was great. I did not have the radar that went with it but a friend who used to work at West Marine recommended two possible radar domes for it: The GMR 18" HD Digital radar for about $1K which he said was excellent or if I wanted enhanced performance the GMR 18 xHD for about $1.6K

Raymarine: I special ordered the E95 combination touch screen or rotary knob unit and the Rinker factory installed it. It was expensive at about $2.2K, but an amazing GPS/Plotter. I also ordered the Rinker factory installed radar dome. My only choice was the RD418D (18" digital-color) I might have ordered the RD418HD as it has another 250 colors in its display which might have made for more clarity. It would have cost about $1.6K But the one from the factory was still plenty good for me!

Comparison: I really liked both manufacturers. I think the Garmin combination would be excellent. If money was less of a concern then the Raymarine Hybrid GPS with touch screen/rotary functions and the RD418HD would be my choice.

Definitely, definitely. definitely look for deals..... these things often go on sale. My friend warned me not to buy used as they can be easily damaged. Also he said be sure to check the manufacture date if items are on sale as they could have sat on a shelf for 2 years and not have the new functions.

Buy the latest model on sale - he said.

BTW, the navigation chips go on sale often too.....and sadly, my friend told me to make a back-up chip and remove the original chip from my GPS when away from the boat as they are stolen VERY frequently. (How sad!) I did make a back up though!

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MT- thanks for the update and I will look into the Garmin and wait for the 4th of July sale.
  • Options
    thanks for that feedback MT!  I was looking at the raymarine A75 MFD and also the garmin 741.  I currently have Radar, but never use it.  Not sure if I will add radar or not, but will get one that has the capability in case I, or the next owner, would like it.
    my unit isn't operating correctly at the moment, so need to have someone look at it.  given its age, if it isn't just a loose connection, I will just replace.
  • Options
    @summerx - I suggest you should ALWAYS use your radar any time you are underway.  

Every captain has a responsibility to take all reasonable actions for collision avoidance.  Using your radar is part of that.  If nothing else, having the radar turned on reduces your risk of liability in a collision.  (Imagine the other captain claiming you could have avoided the collision by using your radar ...)

Note - in waters that are subject to the COLREGS, I think a boat that has radar installed is *required* to use it.  
  • Options
    LaRea, I had no idea there were requirements to use it certain times.  I think part of my problem is, I never took the time to LEARN how to utilize it.  Plus, 90% of the time, we are in a about a 15-20 mile radius, in familiar waters, so I don't even bother turning on my GPS.  I know the shallow spots really am just navigating by eyesight, so it hasn't been an issue.  After spending the last 15 yrs in this area, I am pretty comfortable. 
    that said, that other 10%, when we cross the bay or go to other anchorages is when I use it, and really don't have the understanding/knowledge of just how helpful it can be.  Once I get a new one, I will try to take a class or educate myself on the benefits which I know I am not using.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean -- you don't exactly need satellite navigation to cross the street!  

The other benefit of always using the radar is that your brain learns how to interpret the images.  You see a buoy with your eyes, and you see what it looks like on radar.  Then when you try using the radar at night, it's much more natural.
  • Options

HUGE SAVINGS....Defender Marine is having a father's Day sale ...one example .......Raymarine E97 touchscreen/rotary dual function - I paid $2,300.00 ON SALE now $1,259!!!!!!!

This is a 9" amazing unit!!!!!!!

• Options
    actually MT, there is a $250 rebate on top of that...it is actually $1009.,....even better
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I have the c97(non touch screen) VERY nice unit!!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Yes, the C97 is excellent too!
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    At $1030 shipped, it was too good of a deal to pass up.  I just ordered one, happy fathers day and birthday and Christmas to me!!!
  • Options
    You are going to love that model. Randy Rinker allowed me to purchase it and have it custom factory installed on our 2014 EC 360. The Admiral who did tours with both the Canadian Navy and Air Force was my Nav. she loved it!
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Yes you will love that , great choice
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I've used the Lowrance chart plotter (originally the 5200C and I upgraded to the 7200C) and radar (LRA-1800) since I purchased my 320 in 2008. I recently bought a Lowrance 3G radar and upgraded my displays with the HDS8 GEN2 and HDS7 GEN2. The Lowrance 4G is nicer but the side by side comparison wasn't worth the higher cost for the 4G. I bought the 3G for $990 delivered to my house and the displays are a generation older than the newest Lowrance models but less than 1/2 price of the GEN3 HDS units. Like @Larea said - I also use my rader and plotters everytime I go out - I always look at the radar display to see what specific targets look like during the day so I know exactly what I am looking at when out at night. If you ever need your radar / plotter maps and have never used them, they are basically useless at that point since you have no baseline for what targets / trails, etc. look like. Basically, it's practice :-)
    I also installed the Mercury Marine twin engine NMEA 2000 gateway so now I have all engine data on one of the displays at all times - great to have that visual reference that everything is fine (or not).