Options

Generator won't start

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
edited June 2016 in Generator Discussions

OK, it's not my generator but a dock buddy's.  I believe he has the Kohler 5E.  Here is his words...

"It would start and run as long as I held down the Start button (both on the unit and in the cabin). The minute I let go it dies.

I then noticed that one of the fuse caps was missing. I ordered a new one and put it on this last week.

Now when I push the start button (either one) nothing happens at all. I tested (Ohm) the start switch on the unit and I think the switch is burnt out. However, since it wont start from the cabin switch I don't think the switch is the end problem.

I did some research on line and the original symptom (dying after I let go of the switch) could be a stator problem. Big money."

I mentioned to him to check the sensors.  But, at the moment, it's not working or doing anything from either start button, nada, nothing.  I'm thinking fuse or something of the sort?  thoughts??

OH, forgot to add, a new carb was put on last year and worked well with that until this mishap now.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely electrical issue. When this happened to me on the 310 it was the stator and rotor and was $5k. That said i think it could be as simple as the brushes which are cheap or the control panel which is around $500. There has to be a decent Koehler guy where you are? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I believe at this point, nothing at all.  Not turning over at all I should say.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could have fried the starter too. They over heat easily. Easy to jump the solenoid to test in place. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One note - when I had this issue it always started, just quit when I let go of the start button. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    A bad or messed up anti-diesel valve will do that. It closes off the fuel instantly in the carb. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, the anti-diesel valve is one thing I was thinking as well.  Is it possible to clean it at least to see if that is the problem before replacing?  Obviously first thing is to get it to be able to crank again, then figure out why it won't stay running.

• Options
    You can clean it. Just use carb cleaner spray. You could even plug the hole as a stop gap. The hole needs to be cleaned too. Easy place to gum up. 

I'd jump the starter off the battery as a fast check it it will crank. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    did you get it to crank.  don't forget that the input fuse controls the starter .
  • Options
    oh, his problem ended up being a fuse and low oil level.