Options

2011 310EC Cockpit Ice Maker Question

warrantyvoiderwarrantyvoider Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
We recently traded our 280 for a new (to us) 310.  It's great, but I'm having an issue with the cockpit ice maker.
Water is leaking out of the tray and freezing on the back wall and bottom of the ice maker.  On the advice of several people, I inspected the tray assembly and discovered a crack in the plastic.  Here's the problem:  It looks like I need to remove the entire ice maker in order to unplug the tray, but I can't figure out how to get that bad boy out of there.  I think I've removed every relevant screw, but she won't budge.  
Does anybody with experience have some words of wisdom?  
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had to pull the ice maker out of a friend's boat. We removed everything and it felt like it was glued in. We worked different corners until it finally came out. if it had been my boat I would have had a heart attack. Once it was out we could see that the hole had been cut too small and it had just been jammed in. We had to cut an1/8 inch off ALL the way around to get it back in - obviously that's the same as 1/4 inch off the top and bottom. I was not impressed that someone at the factory had done that.

before you use the kind of force that we did please check to make sure there are no screws anywhere. I wouldn't want you to rip a door off, especially now we know what they cost.

Is there anything (like a trash container) that you can remove to look around the fridge with a camera or mirror?

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture of the crack maybe could be repaired without removing the unit.
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I need to pull mine in my 280 as well. Keep me posted how it turns out. Mine works great as a freezer but doesn't make ice. Not sure if I want it to make ice anyhow. Not sure we would use it. Just bothers me something doesn't work on the boat. Lol. Not to change subject, but how do you like the upgrade from the 280 to the 310...Ive been roaming the boat trader site. Thought about the same upgrade. Seeing MTs precious 310 and now 360 got me looking. Beautiful boats!  Would be nice to have some extra room on the boat. 
  • Options
    Can you post a picture of the crack maybe could be repaired without removing the unit.
    Great Idea.  Attempting a repair is exactly what I decided to do.  Using my epoxy-ninja skills, I filled in the crack I suspected was causing the leak.  The problem is........much better, but not solved.  A small amount of water is still leaking, but it's manageable.  It'll get me through the summer.
    When I decide to do a COMPLETE fix, I think I'll just hire it out, and let a professional take care of it.
  • Options
    <snip>  but how do you like the upgrade from the 280 to the 310...Ive been roaming the boat trader site. Thought about the same upgrade. Seeing MTs precious 310 and now 360 got me looking. Beautiful boats!  Would be nice to have some extra room on the boat. 
    The difference between the 280 and 310 is HUGE.  It's like night and day.  It's difficult to describe in a forum post what 17 extra inches of beam does to the interior of a boat.  It's stunning.  
    If this type of upgrade is something you want, and it's in the budget for you, I say go for it.  I'd do it again.  Flaky ice maker notwithstanding, I couldn't be more pleased.  Our 280 was a fantastic boat.  The 310 is, in my opinion, better in just about every measurable way.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with@warrantyvoider. When we started looking at cruisers we thought the EC 290 would be our choice until we went to look at a new type of Rinker upholstery in an EC 310. The difference in the cockpit and cabin space was astounding.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    First epoxy is no that good on plastic,really poor adhesion here is the proper way go to your nearest hobby shop and ask for a bottle of thick the thickest one  CA ( cyanoacrylate)
    and a bottle of kicker.remove the epoxy that is there it should not be hard to remove since adhesion will be poor. Use a 100 grit sandpaper and sand  both side of the crack. Then clean the area to remove any oil or finger grease, if the crack is wide enough apply the ca in the crack if nott you could widen the crack a bit then use the kicker to spray the glue it will immediately seize the glue do not use to much kicker just a slight miss  let that dry for a minute then wipe off the excess kicker,then apply more CA over the crack and some on the side where you sand again a slight miss of kicker let dry for more minutes then the extra glue can be sand right (100 grit then finer if you want)away to make flush with the rest lf you want to make it more strong cut a piece of an old cotton t-shirt  just a bit larger of the repair apply glue to the area and apply the cotton piece over the glue you pressing it 
    a bit more kicker and that will do the trick.
    P.S.  WATCH not to glue your finger together, use a small piece of plastic to apply the glue like a small spatula and again watch your fingers
    I did own a company  that our speciality was plastic repair. Sold it to buy a boat :)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    I replaced mine on my 342. It is not that hard to do. I bought the new unit on ebay and installed it in about half hour. My ice maker was "stuck" also just kept working it back and forth and it came out with no problems. Works great now with no " blocks" of ice in it anymore...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com