Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway

imlovinitimlovinit Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I have a 2014 246 captiva. I am interested in connecting my engine to my simrad using nmea 2000.  I was told i would need the Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway.

does any one have any experience where this gets connected to. i was told it would be a port on behind my dash.

Does it get connected to the
SmartCraft port on the DTS controller. if so where is that?

Any help will be greatly 
apprecited.

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will see if I kept the notes when we connected a GPS to the gateway in my 2013 EC 310. I DO remember having an argument with the tech who said we didn't have to use terminating resistors on any open gateway ports. He was wrong and I had to wait 7 days for them to arrive. I don't know if you will be using the same gateway cable but you may want to check that out. The terminating resistors didn't cost much it was just the wait time for me. If I can find those notes I'll PM you.
  • imlovinitimlovinit Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    This is a module to connect a mercruiser engine to the nmea 2000 network.

@shawnmjr the NMEA 2000 cabling system allows any NMEA 2000 rated equipment to be connected together via a common set of connecters. Real cool.
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I connected the Mercury Marine NMEA 2000 (non-DTS) gateway to my engines 4 seasons ago - I have a diagram on how to connect up the gateway to twin engines but I do not have DTS and the gateway and connections are different for non-DTS configurations compared to a DTS system. Mercury Marine tech folks are great to work with - just give them a call and they can point you in the right direction. They sent me an e-mail with part numbers and a connection diagram.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your boat has DTS?  Then it's easy.  

At the helm, remove the panel that holds the gauges, and look for a black plastic junction box with six SmartCraft ports.  (At least, that's what you'd have on a 2-engine boat; I'm not sure about a single.)  The junction box is about 5 inches long, and it's probably screwed to the fiberglass.  The unused ports will be plugged by plastic plugs.  Remove any one of them, and plug in the gateway.  Then connect the N2K cable to your N2K network using a T connector.  

If there are no other N2K devices, I think you can just plug the N2K cable directly into your Simrad.
    I have looked everywhere and no luck finding the smart craft  ports. Will try mercruiser.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for something similar to this:

http://www.veradoclubparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/878492K14-2.jpg

It should be somewhere within a few feet of the shifter.
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @imlovinit your smartcraft harness drop is on the engine block on the back toward the port side of the engine. You'll see a drop that has a yellow cap on it that says Termistor on it. That is where the N2K harness will plug into the engine harness. Remember you will need to have a already powered N2K system for this to work. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    Found cable, do not have a smart craft port. I am assuming that i can connect the nmea 2000 gateway to the cable and connect it to my nmea 2000 network.
    edited June 2016
    let me describe my network which is working now. ** will be where i will put the nmea 2000 gate way.

power cable / fusion radio/ ** gateway** / Fusion remote/ simrad/ fusion remote.

Do you all think it will work in this position?
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Imlovinit- If you're n2k network is working now, all you will need is another "T" connector and a n2k drop cable plugged into the Mercury Gateway(the gateway obviously needs to be plugged into the smartcraft cable). These are the three components I needed to add the gateway into my NMEA2000 system:
    -Mercruiser NMEA2000 gateway Part # 84-8M0065208
    -879982t20 w/2 terminating resistors built in (blue data cable)
    -892452t01 Adapter (male to male)

This is is the connector that I plugged into on the rear of my 350 mpi:Here is what my N2K system looked like(before I added Fusion radio and VesselView):
    edited June 2016
    Beautiful install, better than from most manufacturers. Fantastic to know the terminating resistors are on. A lot of that was all done under the helms of my EC 310 and EC 360....but not as nice as you did!
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    The male-to-male adapter is the cheaper version alternative to a junction box. 
    Thanks for the great information.