Options

Gas Tanks

I have a new to me 2005 300.   This is my first boat with twins.  I notice my port gas gauge hasn't moved since my last fill up, but my starboard has dropped a quarter of tank.  Do both engines run from one tank and then to the other when the first tank is empty?  Also I have had gas come out of the port side gas cap with the cap closed. Any ideas are appreciated. 

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Check the front wall of the engine room, high up.  You should have a fuel tank selector valve there.  Port, Starboard, Both and Off.  It might be set to the starboard tank.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

The gas valves often have a yellow handle on them. There are several to check as different combinations of gas usage are possible: running of either tank, running off one tank, running off both tanks.

BTW Rinker has a nice diagram in their owners manual. I had one but it went with my boats. One of the guys could probably scan one for you or I'm sure Rinker would e.mail you one!

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    In addition to checking the fuel tank alignment valves as mentioned above, If you have the Faria gauges (which you probably do), you may have to do the Faria tap tap to get the gauge to register correctly. The Faria gauges are famous for "sticking" and a tap or two on the gauge face usually gets them working again. This goes for tachs, sync, etc.
    As for the fuel coming out of the gas cap - your boat has the Perko fuel inlet that has the vent built into the unit. If you fill your gas tank when it's cool out often times it will overflow out of the gas cap when the fuel expands as it gets hotter out. I just did this on my boat :-(

• Options

@frodo13056 excellent advice.

My marina filled the tanks of my 360 in the fall of 2014. They knew the boat was being hauled right after. I found out that they figured EACH tank had leaked 10 GALLONS onto the shop floor of the marina in the spring of 2015! The said they had to deal with a huge mess.

Could you imagine that in your garage, shop or yard? How do you spell EPA! 

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    @Michael T - fortunately, one of my dock friends called me and told me that I was overflowing and he put down a couple of the oil absorbent pads and kept the mess to a minimum - but it still made a mess!

• Options

@frodo13056, I got caught with that real bad in my garage many years ago with a Rinker bow rider. The gas spilled all over my cement floor which had been sealed with a specialty clear acrylic sealer. Geez, I had to scrape a lot of it up and re do it as it had been dissolved and discolored.

Good dock mate to have your back on that one, the environmental goes have a cr*p if they see a big sheen on the water!