Options

CE Certificate for Rinker 270, 2002

JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 11
Can anyone help, we purchased our boat 3 years ago privately, not knowing about a CE Certificate, we now want to sell it but can't as it does not have a CE certificate. Does anyone know what the emissions are on a 2002 boat as this seems to be the big hold up, otherwise we have been told it is a case of replacing the engine with a 2003 model engine as this conforms to EU standards. Can you help us out of this terrible mess as to get the CE cert we have been told will cost £2000 plus the cost of a new engine

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you take your engine serial number and contact the manufacturer. They should know.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, does sound like a mess...how were you able to purchase it? I understand purchased private..you ad to transfer a title? Any going back to the previous seller?
  • Options
    Have gone back to the previous seller who has said there should be a CE number but have had the engine number checked and it doesn't have one, think we have been sold a duff. Have contacted Rinker via this post and we are awaiting an answer as to the emissions. Going back to the previous seller they can just say they didn't know about a CE number, or as they have done said there should be one, at the end of the day we are liable to get this sorted 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not get a response, hopefully I can find an email address for someone who recently helped me..have to do some digging though!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CE should cover electric too. Seems Rinker should be able to help. On a 2002/3 there is no cat on the exhaust. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Hello John, I just revised a comment I had made to you.

I think you should see what Mercury and Rinker can do to help you.

I think you should ask to speak with someone in a position of authority when you ask for assistance as that is likelier to yield better results.

I looked at the purchase agreement I signed with my dealer for my 2014 Rinker EC 360. It detailed "options".

I never thought any certifications would be considered "options" but they were on my factory build order -  here is what appeared on my "Build Order":

I paid $25.00 to have my boat U.S. and Canadian certified.

There was a box that could be checked. It read read Int.-CE certification $1,284.00

I would be sure to mention that your year of engine did not have to have catalytic converters.

I have  two questions, was your boat imported into Europe? How did you buy it without the certification?

Best of luck! MT

• Options
    Yes the boat was imported into the UK and as we purchased it privately, not knowing anything about CE Certification, the private seller can just plead ignorance. Will contact Rinker today, thanks all for your help but if you have further information please let me know. 
  • Options

John, how did the previous owner register the boat in the UK? He would have had to provide CE proof to do that or did he just import it, not register it and put it up for sale? 

• Options
    It was imported and not registered, then sold on privately, if we had bought it from a broker it would have been flagged up that there was no CE certificate but we were oblivious to this.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    If you have any problems contact American Sports Boats, they have proved invaluable.
  • Options
    Michael T said:

Hello John, I just revised a comment I had made to you.

I think you should see what Mercury and Rinker can do to help you.

I think you should ask to speak with someone in a position of authority when you ask for assistance as that is likelier to yield better results.

I looked at the purchase agreement I signed with my dealer for my 2014 Rinker EC 360. It detailed "options".

I never thought any certifications would be considered "options" but they were on my factory build order -  here is what appeared on my "Build Order":

I paid $25.00 to have my boat U.S. and Canadian certified.

There was a box that could be checked. It read read Int.-CE certification $1,284.00

I would be sure to mention that your year of engine did not have to have catalytic converters.

I have  two questions, was your boat imported into Europe? How did you buy it without the certification?

Best of luck! MT

• Options
    Unfortunately Rinker have not come back to me with any help at all. American Sports Boats have provided the certificate and have been a great help