Options

Generator Oil Leak

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Well, it was a nice weekend and had a great anchoring out.  Unfortunately, halfway thru Friday night, my genny shutoff for low oil pressure.  (yeah, right after posting on here to help a buddy out with his generator)  Well, the pan under the generator had, oh, a good half quart in there.  After much playing around on Saturday (& connecting up to another in the raftup so I still had power), I found oil leaking from what looks like the main seal behind the flywheel.

After looking for a parts manual online, it looks like maybe this seal is accessible just by removing the flywheel and few other things off the front??  (I pulled all the plastic covers and such and was down to the flywheel and ran it, seeing the oil dripping from behind it)

In this link, on page 6 part #18 looks like maybe what is leaking. 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjSz4KozqPNAhUGaz4KHSLEDRwQFgg8MAE&url=http://www.ourcayoloco.com/docs/TP5987.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGLCEQhTGVajYRZnwPScxO6-xaAfQ

Unfortunately we will be taking the boat this Thursday for a 10-day trip, so I wouldn't think I'd get it fixed beforehand, but luckily we are doing mostly other marinas and minimal anchoring anyhow. 

Anyone ever tear apart the front of this thing for an oil leak??

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had to find a new problem!  The seal should come out towards you, trick is to not scratch the shaft. Better off to punch a hole thru the metal case to wedge it out, not prying at the lip part. Use something that matches the OD of the seal, ideally with some land on the face of the seal to tap a new one in place. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'm gonna mess with this one myself (not that I couldn't do it, but it looks simple enough, hopefully, that it won't cost too much).  But, you do have me curious now.  Have you replaced one or seen one replaced?  Wonder how much it would take to get the flywheel and other timing stuff there off.

• Options
    You'll need a flywheel puller to start. And the room to do it. If you have a good lawnmower shop around, you could ask a service guy, it's just a 17hp Kawa, same used in mowers, just usually air cooled. The other guy good to call is at partsfortechs.com. At least they can give you a scoop on the challenges. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD.  I like partsfortechs.  Really good people and great prices too. I'd like to see if it can be left in the boat for this to be done.  I'd guess (or hope) it could be separated easily from the generator portion if it had to be for easy removal  (not sure if the entire unit could come out without removing engine, but I think it could).  There is a lot of room in the engine room to work on it.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....I don't think the guys at Kohler, who I have called in the past a few times, have 10% of BDs knowledge of these generator's workings. From experience, make that bitter experience, I have messed up a number of interface p[arts for seals when removing the old seal. I certainly agree with BD that having the proper tools in this case is crucial!
  • Options

Well, I had some fun with this one.  Still not finished, but on the home stretch now.  I had ordered the wrong part and then again got the wrong part.  But now, tomorrow will finally be picking up the correct part to finish this out on Friday.  The correct part number is 359723 (not 22 or 21).  From the diagram, I had the seal from the wrong end (no jokes here).

Here are some pics of where it goes....

• Options
    Big project. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI